Chapter 6: As It Was In the Beginning...

"What happened? Where were you?" Tabitha asked from the passenger seat as Dean drove like a bat-out-of-hell for the address Castiel had given them.

"Castiel sent me into the past," he answered shortly.

"Yeah, that's what he told me," she responded irritably. "But when? And better yet, why?"

Dean did a double take as he looked at his sister in the passenger seat. "What do you mean, 'he told you?' When?"

"After you disappeared," she replied shortly. "Told me not to worry about you or something, and said he'd sent you into the past to see and learn what you needed to know." She made an impatient motion with her hand. "Where and or when did he send you?"

"To Lawrence, back just before Mom and Dad got engaged."

"You saw them? You saw Mom and Dad? Why? Why'd he send you back there? What happened?"

"Too many questions, Tab. I'll answer them later. Right now, we gotta find Sam and figure out what the hell it is we're supposed to stop," he informed her, his foot pressing even further down on the gas pedal.

They finally pulled up by an old abandoned building—what looked like an old warehouse to her eyes. Tabitha had had enough of abandoned buildings to last her a while, but she shoved it aside, the need to find her little brother stronger than her unease with the locale.

Together, Dean and Tabitha edged silently through the building littered with trash and other abandoned goods. They crept carefully along, both with their pistols drawn as they looked for Sam, and finally, as they cleared several other rooms in the old building, they began hearing his voice towards a room in the back. It didn't sound distressed, so they eased slightly as they crept closer.

Coming around a corner, they saw Sam and another woman on their feet, a strange man tied to a chair—demon, by the looks of the traps Sam had drawn.

"Is that—" Dean trailed off in a whisper.

But Tabitha saw it, too, and recognized the woman. "Yeah," she whispered back. "The little brunette from the motel when we found Sam in Pontiac. What's going on?"

Dean shook his head as they silently watched their brother and the woman. Sam and the demon in the chair spoke to each other, but then Sam raised his hand towards the demon, and as the siblings watched, smoke came out of the demon's mouth, but instead of rising up and dispersing into the air, it was pulled down to the ground, the head of the man slumping forward against his chest as Sam finished.

"What the hell was that?" Tabitha whispered in shock, her hand rising to cover her mouth.

Dean's face turned cold and hard, almost becoming someone Tabitha didn't recognize. "That's our brother doing something he shouldn't," he whispered dangerously back to his sister.

Sam had untied the man in the chair and was helping him to his feet when Dean and Tabitha came through the doorway into the room where a surprised Sam had halted.

"So, anything you want to tell us, Sam?" Dean asked, that dangerous edge still present in his tone.

"Dean, just hold on, okay," Sam pleaded, setting the man back down in the chair. "Let me—"

"You gonna say, 'let me explain?'" Dean interrupted. "You're gonna explain this?" he said, gesturing angrily about the darkened room.

Dean kept walking closer to their brother as he talked, his expression making perfectly clear what his thoughts were. "How about this?" he continued. "Why don't you start with who she is and what the hell is she doing here?" Dean demanded gesturing at the woman.