Chapter 8: Hope is the Thing with Feathers

Tabitha looks up from her computer when she hears Sam enter their room, hoping he's had some luck with his task.

"Hey," Sam greets them.

Dean looks up from the online article he'd been perusing next to Tabitha at the table to ask, "Find anything?"

Sam scoffs as he explains, "Well, uh, I saw the house."

"And does it match up with what the wife told us?" Tabitha asks, referring to their current crazy case and the story the woman had told them about it not being a bear that killed her husband, but the Incredible Hulk. The TV version.

Tabitha shakes her head and lowers her voice to add, "Or is it just another crazy story from a crazy woman?"

The youngest Winchester shakes his head as if he can't believe what he's about to say. "There is a giant 8-foot-wide hole where the front door used to be. Almost like…"

Dean sits up excitedly as he finished Sam's thought, "A Hulk-sized hole."

"Maybe," Sam agrees. "What do you guys have?"

Tabitha spins her laptop around on the table to display her screen to her two brothers, showing them the police records of the small town that she'd hacked into. "Seems that our Billy boy had a bit of a temper. His record shows two counts of spousal battery, bar brawls, and some court-ordered anger-management sessions."

By the cheeky grin on her older brother's face, Tabitha knows exactly what Dean's going to say before he opens his mouth, but still cringes as he does.

"You might say you wouldn't like him when he's angry," he chuckles.

Tabitha groans a little as Sam surmises, "So, a hothead getting killed by TV's greatest hothead. Kind of sounds like just deserts, doesn't it?"

Shrugging, Tabitha stands to stretch, saying, "I guess it does. If that's what really happened. I mean, what would pretend to be the Incredible Hulk to kill someone? Seems kinda farfetched for our normal cases to me."

Dean shrugs. "We have seen some pretty wacky stuff, Tab. We've seen stranger than a TV character come to life just to gank some douche."

"No," Sam slowly argues. "It's all starting to make sense."

"How?" Tabitha wonders, going to the small fridge in the room and getting herself a yogurt cup.

Dean shrugs again, waiting for Sam's explanation.

Sam begins pulling something out of his coat pockets. "Well, I found something else at the crime scene. Candy wrappers," he says, dropping a handful of crumpled up wrappers onto the table in front of Dean. "Lots of 'em."

Tabitha steps closer again with her yogurt in hand, leaning down near her older brother to examine the wrappers, trying to distinguish what about them means something to her younger brother.

"So?" she returns, straightening and returning to her yogurt. A little sullenly, she adds, "What's that prove other than people like candy. I'd be eating candy instead of this, too, if I didn't know I'd have to run another five miles or risk it going straight to my ass and thighs."

Dean snorts, but ignores her comments, mulling aloud, "Just deserts, sweet tooth, screwing with people before killing them. We're dealing with the Trickster, aren't we?"

Pausing with her spoon midway to her mouth, Tabitha questions, "You get that from a crazy story about the Hulk and some candy wrappers? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?"