Chapter 5: In the End, There Is the Truth

Tabitha woke painfully as she was dropped in a heap on a cold cement floor. Her nose was filled with the bitter tang of old blood and rotten meat. One of her arms was twisted awkwardly underneath herself, but she used it to her advantage, sliding her hand into her pocket, and blindly pushing buttons on her phone.

She could hear Calev moving around the room she was in, but he was muttering what she was certain was foul words in another language, not paying her any attention. She couldn't see much, but from one corner of her eye, saw a rail of meat hooks across the ceiling. Probably an old slaughterhouse from the look and smell, she bitterly thought. Only a vampire's sense of humor.

It would have been easier to slip the phone from her pocket completely, but Tabitha feared drawing attention to the fact that she was no longer unconscious. So, she blindly scrolled through the options on her phone, sending a text to Dean reading only, "vamp" and praying that her practice in using her phone and texting without looking at the screen would pay off. And also thanking her luck that she'd put the phone on mute.

But just as she sent the message, Calev appeared in her eye line, crouching down as he picked her up in his arms, roughly tossing her on an old musty smelling mattress.

"So pleased to see you are awake," he told her as she groaned.

She tried to roll away from him, but he moved quickly, clamping something down on her wrist as she changed tactics and rolled back towards him again, trying to kick and strike at him with her fist and feet.

She missed with the kick of her bare feet, but managed a glancing blow with her fist.

Calev pulled back, his lip split despite the only glancing blow. Yet, he merely smiled. "I knew you would be the perfect choice. And a fighter, too. I'm pleased. I don't want all my children to be docile lambs," he chuckled.

As he stepped away, Tabitha yanked at her arm, but found it was securely handcuffed with a short length of chain to the metal bed frame he'd tossed her on.

Calev stepped away from her as if he was totally unconcerned by her, casually taking off his black shirt and mopping at the blood dripping from his lip. He turned around, looking at her from the distance that now separated them. "Yes. You will make an even better child than my others. No fear in you. Only anger. And fight. I'll enjoy breaking you for myself," he laughed. He looked around and Tabitha followed his gaze to the wall where three blonde women were chained, two by their hands, and one by her foot. All three women were covered in blood, and staring hungrily at her.

The vampire chuckled again. "They had to be taught not to scream, not that it did them any good in the end anyway, but not you. You are smarter," he told her, tossing down the shirt he'd bloodied, and leaning back against a low metal table. "You realize screaming will gain you nothing in trying to escape." He grinned again. "I've been looking for an intelligent child like you. You will do well in this modern world. Times have changed, we cannot hunt as we used to. We must be smarter. Hunt those the humans care not about. And you—you will do well. You'll adapt well."

"I don't want to adapt to what you are," she told him coldly.

His expression became serious as he straightened to his full height. "None want it in the beginning. But you will come to love it in the end. You will flourish," he assured her.

"Come near me again, and I promise I'll kill you," she threatened in a flat voice.

The vampire's smile returned as he began stalking closer, slowly easing in on his prey.