Chapter 10: You Don't Know What You're Missing Now

"So you're telling us that you're Satan's bitch now?"

Tabitha frowns at her older brother's summation. But she's not quite certain that his statement is altogether inaccurate.

"I fail to see what a female canine has to do with your sister's predicament," Castiel grumbles from his corner of the kitchen.

After a glance spared in his direction, Tabitha turns back to her brothers and Bobby gathered in a circle around the kitchen table.

They'd all still been too shocked by the events in Carthage to speak of anything when they'd returned to Bobby's the night before. Even the old hunter had welcomed them with a grievous silence, knowing with one look enough of the events that had transpired. Together, they'd gathered around the flames of Bobby's fireplace, silently toasting to the fallen hunters.

Bobby had held the photo he'd taken before the group left, and then cast it into the flames. The only hunter's rights that they could afford the departed mother and daughter. And one by one, they'd slipped away to take their solace in silence and solitude.

Though Tabitha had hoped she would find her angel waiting for her upstairs, she'd trudged up to her room, only to find it painfully empty. And even after she'd curled up under the covers, Castiel had not appeared. Instead, she had been left alone to console herself, only her own arms to wrap around her body in a feeble attempt to hold it all together.

Long into the night, she'd lain awake, waiting…hoping…needing Castiel to come and just hold her tight.

Just before she was about to drift off into a weary slumber, her eyes had caught the movement of her door easing noiselessly open. And in the pale twilight of the moon, her eyes had tracked Castiel silently ghosting into her cluttered space. He'd stood at her bed, staring down at her with an inscrutable gaze. The movement of his hands caught her gaze though, twisting and knotting in his trench coat.

After a moment of silent contemplation, Tabitha had rolled onto her side, lifting the covers in unspoken invitation. Her angel silently accepted, climbing in, coat and all, and curling into her body as he clung desperately to her smaller form.

For hours, she'd longed for him to come hold her tight and tell her that everything would be all right. Yet as she'd drifted into a restless sleep early that morning, it had been her hands smoothing across the angel's temple as he pressed his face to her chest, and it had been her voice softly whispering reassuring words as she faded into sleep.

By morning, she'd been alone in her bed once more, left wondering if she'd imagined the angel coming to her bed for comfort. With no clear answer in her mind, she'd plodded down the stairs to the kitchen, and the sight to greet her had been that of the guys gathered around the table as they waited for her.

In dull tones, she'd done her best to explain what had happened and why she hadn't run from Lucifer like Dean had shouted at her. It was difficult to put into words the compulsion she'd felt to heed his orders though. Somewhere in her telling, Castiel had appeared in the corner of the kitchen, a silent totem listening to the story.

"You're sayin' that when the Devil said jump, you had to say 'how high?'" Bobby asks, startling Tabitha from her thoughts.

"I don't know. Something like that," she mumbles, wishing the conversation would just end.

Sam stares at her in a kind of stupefied shock, but Dean looks thunderous.

His hand slams down on the table as he launches to his feet, and Tabitha thinks to herself that she'd been spot on about his expression.