Chapter 13: Making the Smart Choice

Tabitha parked the Impala and crossed Bobby's salvage lot to where she could see her brother and Anna sitting huddled closely together.

"Figure out anything while I was gone?" she called out as she got closer.

Dean sprang to his feet, a guilty look on his face before he wiped it away. "Naw, not really. My baby okay?"

His sister tossed him his keys with a raised eyebrow.

But he immediately avoided her gaze, glancing back at the house and telling her, "I think I'll go inside and see how Sammy's coming along on figuring anything out."

With a curious look at the angel Tabitha had now been left with, she chuckled and told Anna, "He can be so smooth sometimes, and then be such a bumbling kid at other times—like he got his hand caught in the cookie jar. I swear, I wonder what women see in him."

Tabitha slid up onto the hood of the old car beside Anna, taking the spot her brother had previously occupied.

"I think there's a certain amount of charm in seeing that smoothness deteriorate into the bumbling when he's afraid of you seeing something he doesn't want you to see," Anna admitted with a small grin.

"There must be," Tabitha agreed with a sarcastic look.

"He's a good man, your brother is. I still can't quite believe he actually wants to help me. And while part of me is grateful that you are all trying to help me, part of me just keeps reminding me that it's futile and that you should all run for the hills."

Tabitha pulled her legs up on the hood to sit cross-legged as she gave a self-deprecating laugh. "Yeah, well, nobody ever accused a Winchester of having great self-preservation skills."

"Maybe," Anna smiled, "but there's definite loyalty and honor there."

Shaking her head in return, Tabitha thought about her conversation with another angel as she stared down at the gravel lot, absently remarking, "Doesn't seem that loyalty is real high on an angel's list of traits though, no offense."

Anna shook her head in return. "None taken. It's one of the reasons I fell." She looked sideways across at the other woman. "You probably think it was crazy that I wanted to fall and become human."

Still looking down at the ground, Tabitha shrugged as she admitted, "No, I think I get it actually. To have the freedom that we do. To be able to make your own choices and feel the emotions you were always trying to lock away."

"Exactly," Anna breathed in a surprised rush. "That's exactly why I fell."

Tabitha finally looked up and turned towards Anna. "But why can't angels? Why can't angels think for themselves or make their own choices and mistakes?"

"We're taught that emotions are forbidden. They lead to question, and then doubt. And that's one of the worst things an angel can do—doubt," Anna carefully explained. "We were made to be soldiers; we weren't made to have the same freedoms as humans. It's why many angels so resent humans, though resentment in itself is blasphemous."

"Explains Uriel's attitude though," Tabitha agreed. "You really were their commander?" Tabitha asked, remembering when Anna had explained her former connection to the two angels sent to kill her.

"Yes. And that's why it's their job to hunt me down now. In some ways, I can't blame them, they're just following orders, but in other ways, I wish they weren't so blind. I wish they would open their eyes and at least think to question why angels can't have the same freedoms humans do. Sometimes, I'm not even sure that the orders that come down to the garrisons are even truly from our Father," Anna admitted with a sigh.