Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The next morning my alarm clock rang over and over again until I hit the snooze button. 10 minutes later it rang again. I hit the snooze. And again. And again. Yeah, I know myself. I purposely set my alarm clock 10 minute apart and 10 different times to make sure I didn't miss Salaatul Fajr.

When the last alarm rung I stretched in my bed before heading into the bathroom. Wetting my face and brushing my teeth before making wudu woke me up more fully.

After I finish making wudu I went down the hallway to wake up Hakeem. "Get up! Get up! It's Faajr time!" I yelled while banging on his door. His door swung open and out came a pillow hitting me in the face.

"Shuddup." Hakeem grumbled walking past me to the bathroom with his eyes half opened. When I go into my mom and Ahmed's room, they were already woke. Ahmed led all of us in Fajr and afterwards everyone stayed up until the sun rose to read Quraan.

I went up the stairs to my room to start getting ready for school. I took my jeans and a t-shirt into the bathroom with me when I went to take a shower. After putting my clothes on I scrubbed my face so that my skin stayed clear. Since I didn't wear makeup outside the house I took extra care of my skin. Alhamdulillah Allaah has blessed me with clear skin so far. I comb and brush my long, black, curly hair into a low bun.

After I give Kay fresh food and water I walked into my room to put on my black abayah. This one that I had chosen had purple embroidered flowers at the bottom. I wrapped the matching black hijab and check in my mirror for any stray strands of hair showing. It's so weird that I have my Father's straight nose and my Mother's heart shaped face.

When Zakariyah dropped me off at home last night my mom told me that my dad had called to talk to me. I had told her I'd call him later. But the truth was that I was not sure what I'd say to him. I slung my leather messenger bag over my shoulder and grabbed my cell phone. Seeing that there wasn't any new messages from Sofia, I sighed and tossed it into my bag. What's going on with her? I wondered.

I then rushed down the stairs with the smell of pancakes filling my nose. To my disappointment it was only Ahmed cooking. "Where's my mom?" I asked eyeing what was in the skillet.

Ahmed flashed a wide smile at me, "She went back to sleep. I'm fixing pancake. You want some?"

I looked at what the skillet contained again. "Pancakes? Those look like crepes to me." I said looking at the watery batter in the skillet.

"Haha. Very funny. Do you want some or not?" he asked, annoyance filling his voice.

I shrugged, "They're as thin as paper so I want about ten of em." Ahmed looks at me like I am the greediest little girl alive before flipping the cre-erm I mean 'pancake'.

"Asalaamu Alaykum," Hakeem said coming into the kitchen.

"Your not working today?" I asked him since he was not in his mechanic jumper thingy, but in jeans and a grey shirt.

"Nah, I got a day off so I'm hangin with Zahir today." He went over to Ahmed's crepes and picked one up holding it side ways. "I know my Ummi did't make these." He mumbled, examining it from all sides. I started laughing with my mouth filled with crepes and Ahmed cleared his throat. "Oh...You made these?" Hakeem asked Ahmed, turning around. Ahmed nodded and continued to glare at Hakeem as he took a sip from his coffee mug. "Oh," Hakeem gives a nervous laugh, "Sorry akhi. Looks good though." He placed the sorry excuse for a pancake on a plate and sat next to me. "Bismillah." He said before taking a bite. "Yum." Hakeem placed the rest into his mouth.

Taking my last bite of breakfast, my cell phone rung. Hoping it Sofia, I dig though my bag trying to find it. To my dismay it was only Zakariyah telling me he would be here any moment.