Chapter 18

Chapter 18

***Jazirah's POV***

My phone started to vibrate violently in the pocket of my jilbab when Mrs. Daniels asked the class a question regarding our current psychology lesson. I checked my phone, doing my best at hiding it from the teacher. It was a text from Carlos which was rare because it wasn't like we texted each other often.

Zak's at the hospital.

My heart rate sped up after I read that. I had just prayed Dhur with him not too long ago and he seemed perfectly fine! There were a billion things running through my mind as I sent a reply to him asking what had happened.

His reply was simple; fight.

Don't leave without me, I sent back knowing that Carlos was probably already on his way out of the school.

I raised my hand in class. "Jazirah," Mrs. Daniels called on me.

"I need to go. It's a family emergency." I rushed out. My psychology teacher frowned.

"That's not the answer to my question Jazirah." she said.

"I wasn't trying to answer your question," I snapped, "I was telling you that I need to go because my brother is in the hospital."

"You won't be going anywhere until this class is over," she replied harshly.

"I don't have time for this," I muttered, stacking my books to leave. I was surprised that she made no move to stop me as I left the room.

I raced to one of the doors on the side of the school that was never locked. I ran all the way to the front of the school with my books in tow. I found Carlos sitting in his car with the engine already running. I yanked open the back door and got in, setting my school books and my purse beside me. I knew my mother wouldn't exactly approve of this, but it's better than sitting up front with him.

"He had a seizure after he got into a fight with Trent," Carlos said as he drove out of the school parking lot.

"Did he have it right in front of everyone?" I asked knowing he would hate that it happened that way again. I saw the back of Carlos' head shake no.

"I followed him after he stormed out of the gym. I just had this gut feeling that it would happen, you know. When I reached him it had already started. I didn't know what to do so I dialed 911 and they sent an ambulance to come get him. I think he hit his head prima," he said the last part quietly which scared me. Carlos wasn't suppose to be nervous or scared or unsure. That just wasn't him.

"Subhannallah," I mumbled, "I hope he's okay."

"Yeah," Carlos agreed.

The rest of the ride was silent as Carlos sped down the streets and a chewed at my lip nervously.

When he found a parking space at the hospital I left my books in his car before we raced into the hospital only to find Zakariyah's parents already at the front desk. Mariana scrutinized the two of us for a second before her husband said, "We've got his room number. Come on, let's go."

As soon as we all enter the room his mother rushed to his bedside where he laid asleep. "Subhannallah, mi vida," She whispered using two different languages as she stroked his damp hair with a distressed look in her eyes.

I wrapped my arms around my midsection as a pang of guilt stabbed me. My brother laid in bed knocked out by some drug the doctors gave him because he got into a fight on my behalf. His face was so pale and he had beads of sweat on his forehead and an IV jabbed up his arm.

I did this... The thought was ridiculous but that how I felt.

I turn to look at Carlos. He stood by the door staring at his cousin in the bed with his arms crossed and jaws set tight. "He's gonna be ok, right Tia?" He asked our Aunt, sounding unsure.

"He'll be fine InSha'Allah. They told us that they gave him some medicine and it makes him drowsy. He'll be fine." She repeated, her eyes never leaving Zakariyah's face.

Tio Mahmood stood up from the chair he had been sitting in and said, "So before the doc comes in here and gives us the 411 I got two things I'd like the both or you to answer." Carlos and I exchanged glances having an idea what he would want us to answer.

"Okay," I said licking my lips nervously.

"I don't understand why the two of you are out of school. Barajar," Tio said, telling us to explain at the end.

"We came to make sure Zak was alright," Carlos spoke up before I could.

"Mhm," Tio said stroking his black beard, "tell me Jazirah, what time is it?"

I looked at the clock on the wall. "It's almost 2:30," I mumbled.

"Ah.. 2:30. That means school hasn't let out yet and won't for about another hour. So that means y'all just left huh?"

"Yes," I muttered, looking down at my shoes.

"Si, Tio," Carlos mumbled.

Mahmood paused long enough to make us both look up at him. His tan face was still stern but it had soften a little. "Look, I know you guys were worried about Zak 'cause he's your hermano and primo but you didn't need to come here. That's why we're here. Y'all are probably missing out on some serious stuff in class and Carlos, you really can't afford to keep skipping. Now the real problema here is how you got here."

Here we go, I thought.

"We took my car," Carlos told him.

"And I sat in the back seat," I added.

"I don't care if you sat in the trunk," Tio said and Carlos began choking on his laughter. I turned to glare at him. "Carlos is not mahram to you. Yes, you guys grew up together like cousins but even if you were cousins that doesn't mean he's your mahram."

"I know that," I said.

"Then start acting like you know. And you too Carlos. You know just as well as her about it."

"Yeah, it's my bad. I told her what had happened knowing that she'd want to come. If I hadn't told her she would've been pissed with me. But yeah, I know, we were both in the wrong and know better. It won't happen agin, God-willing. How y'all say that again in Arabic? insha... inshay.."

I rolled my eyes at Carlos while Tio Mahmood looked at him like he was trying to figure him out.

"InSha'Allah," Mariana spoke, finally looking up at her nephew. "Carlos," she beckoned for him to come to her, "Tell me what happened 'cause I know good and well the seizures don't put bruises on your face!" Her voiced gradually rose and I could see more color coming to here face.

"Cariño, they said he fell," Tio said coming to stand beside his wife.

"Floors have fist huh? Mahmood, this doesn't look like a bruise from falling." She said shaking her head.

"Yeeaah, uh, he go into a fight just before the seizure." Carlos admitted carefully.

"I thought so," Tia muttered, crossing her arms.

I walked over to the other side of his bed to look at purplish bruise on the side of his face just as the door opened and the doctor walked in.

"Can I have a moment with the parents out in the hall so we don't wake the patient?" The Doctor spoke with his clipboard in hand.

As they followed him out Carlos stood as well. "I think I'm gonna go back to class. Tio's right. I can't afford to keep missing school and stuff."

"Yeah," I agreed. Carlos had a habit of either getting into fights which got him suspended or just skipping school.

Once alone in the room I sighed as I looked at my brother's face again. I brushed his damp hair back with my hand. It was beginning to grow longer than how he usually kept it.

He began to stir probably because I rubbing his hair back. I guess it was because of how nervous I was. "Zak," I said softly. His brown eyes fluttered open and I smiled. "Hey," I said happy that he had woken up. It kinda made me relax a little more.

He blinked a couple more times. "Hey," His voice came out sounding tired and hoarse, "Where's my mom?"

"She's in the hall with Tio talking to the doctor," I told him. "Zak," I started again carefully, "You didn't take your pills." It wasn't a question. I knew he didn't. "Your dad's gonna be so pissed." I remind him.

"Yeah, and he's gonna be pissed if I keep bringing home crap grades because I can't stay woke in class. Either way he's pissed so it doesn't matter." he mumbled.

I decided not to respond to that but instead to change the subject. "I heard you got Trent good," I smirked. He began to chuckle, but stopped to hold his side in pain. I stop smiling. "You're such an idiot," I tell him quietly.

He gave me a sleepy grin. "So are you," he mumbled, "for not telling me." He finished and started to doze off again.

A few minutes later his parents come in and assure me that everything is fine. They told me that the doctor said that they would run a few more test on him tomorrow just to make sure everything is ok then he could go home that same day or Saturday.

I let out a sigh of relief that he was ok. The only thing that was running through my head was, Alhamdulillah, Alhamdulillah... I kept thanking Allah because in his hands is the decree of everything. He could've had Zakariyah get some serious damage.

We just sat around the hospital room in silence for a while until a nurse came in and told us we should let him rest. Even though I could tell Mariana didn't want to leave until she saw him wake back up she walked out with Tio and I after pecking a sleeping Zakariyah on the forehead.

"He'll be fine, InSha'Allah, Tia," I said wrapping my arm around her shoulders.

"Yeah, InSha'Allah." She said quietly.

When I got dropped off at home and my mother was notified about the situation and why I was home early she didn't seem upset at all.

Once Zak's parents left she looked at expectantly. "I know it was really wrong to ride with Carlos but I was so worried and I wasn't thinking straight. Plus we've known him for so long I didn't think anything of it." I told her.

"Jazirah, I don't care if we've known him for a million years. It still doesn't make it right. When two people of the opposite sex are alone there's always a third, shaythan," she said.

I looked down at my hands on my lap as we sat on the couch. "I know," I said quietly feeling a little ashamed of my irrational decision. Ummi gently took my hand in hers.

"I know that you were worried sick about your brother. Both you and Carlos. But you both know the rules. When you all were little you use to play together with their other cousins, but you all are older now and sometimes people's feelings may change about the other. Like they might not look at you like a little cousin anymore," she said softly. My eyes widened and a look of amusement played on her face.

"Ummi," I choked out, "that's disgusting and it ain't happening! I don't like Carlos like that and he doesn't either." I informed her.

She chuckled lightly, "I'm not saying that either of you do. But you never know what the future holds."

"Anyways," I said, trying to change the subject.

"Yes, anyways, I've been meaning to talk to you about something." Ummi said carefully.

"Yes?"

"I saw Sofi when I last went to Ereena's house. Jazirah, are you two still talking?" my mother's eyes held a bit of sadness in it along with her voice.

"No," I responded curtly.

"Why not?"

I sighed and ran a hand over my face. "Ummi, she's made is quite clear that she wants nothing to do with me."

"Do you know why she's pushing you away like that?" she pressed.

"No," I mumbled.

"Then why don't you find out? Jazirah, you guys have been so close for years. You can't just give up like that. Something is bothering her and if she's gonna tell anyone it's more than likely gonna be you," ummi placed a hand on my cheek as I bit my lip.

My mind went back to that night at the party and all those other times she acted funny with me. Yeah right, I thought bitterly.

***

"What are you doing?" I asked later that night when I strolled into Hakeem's room to find him pouring over books.

"Something you should be doing," he mumbled without looking up.

"And what's that?" I asked, sitting at his desk since he was on his bed.

He sighed heavily and finally looked up at me. "I'm studying."

"Why on earth are you studying?" I asked, confused.

"I'm studying because I'm back in college," He said giving me a funny look.

When Hakeem graduated at 18 he got a full scholarship to a really good school in another state. He left us all puzzled when he declined the offer to stay home. He never explained to me why he made such a stupid decision concerning his education.

I was stunned. "Since when?"

The frown on his face deepened as he looked at me like I was slow. "I've been back in school since August, Jazirah." he said.

Was I so caught up in me and my problems that I didn't even realize it? Maybe that's why Zak and Ahmed have been the ones driving me to school, I thought. Now that I think about it Hakeem hardly takes me...

"So what will you major in?" I ask, interested.

"Biology," he simply stated, looking down at his books once again.

I groaned. "Biology is so hard." I complained.

Hakeem looked back at me with a smirk, "For you."

"Shut up," I grumbled, "But anyways, I'm so proud of you!" I squealed as I leaned over to pinch his cheeks before he swatted me away.

***

"This house," Ahmed said the next morning, glancing around, "is a wreck."

I paused from eating my now regular breakfast of cereal to look around me as well. "I'll admit that it isn't as clean as it use to be when ummi was well but it isn't all that bad," I told him, "but I guess after school I could help out more around the house. It's just this test and assignments from school that are in the way."

Ahmed shook his head. "You've helped out enough already," he cleared his throat, "especially with your cooking." Hakeem chuckled over his bowl of cereal and a shot Ahmed a glare. I see someone has jokes this morning. "No, really Jazirah. It's ok. You two have school to focus on and I have work. Which is why I have another solution."

"And what's that?" Hakeem asked.

"Your mother and I have decided to hire a certain woman to cook and clean for us."

"We aren't rich Ahmed." I felt the need to remind him. He laughed.

"I'm aware of that. Your mother saw an ad online that this struggling single mother put up. She just moved her a little while ago with her two children and is in need of a job as soon as possible. She's already working somewhere else but she wants something else on the side to keep up with their daily needs. She mentioned that she wouldn't mind cooking and cleaning and what she's asking for isn't much at all. Your mother has already met her and likes her a lot so we've arranged for her to come every Monday and Thursday to clean the downstairs area of the house and to cook dinner those days too. I don't know about you guys but I'd like some real food for a change." Ahmed grinned at the two of us.

"I'm down with it as long as nothing gets stolen," Hakeem said, before emptying his bowl in his mouth.

Ahmed turned to me. "And you Jazirah?"

I just shrugged. "I don't see why we have to hire someone. If only you guys would give me one more chance at cooki-"

"No!" Hakeem and Ahmed both said, cutting me off.

"Y'all are so ungrateful," I muttered, standing up to wash my bowl.

***

After Ahmed dropped me off at school I saw Carlos on the hood of his car surrounded by girls. When he saw me he grabbed a stack of books beside him and hurried to catch up with me. Falling into my pace he hands me the books and said, "Left these in my car."

"Thanks," I said gratefully. I would need those books for class and I had stupidly left them in his car.

"Cómo es Zakariyah?" he asked, sounding a bit worried.

"He's gonna be fine, Alhamdulillah. Today they're planning to do a few test just to make sure and InSha'Allah he'll get to go home soon."

"Thank God," he said running both his hands through his short black hair. "Was your mom pissed at you for skipping?"

"No, but she was disappointed with us for going over those set boundaries that Tio was talking about yesterday." He shook his head.

"Lo siento," he apologized.

"It's fine," I responded as we rounded the corner. The hallways were starting to get full with students and staff as the minutes went by.

"I've noticed something," Carlos suddenly said as we stopped at my locker.

"Oh yeah. What's that?" I asked, putting in my combination to unlock my locker.

"Every time someone says something to you in Spanish you respond in English," he said.

I paused from putting my books I didn't need my locker to look at him. "I don't know why I do that really. I guess I don't want the whole world knowing I speak it."

"Why? You turbado?" he asked, giving me a sideways glance.

"No I'm not embarrassed. It's just that if someone decided to talk about me in Spanish I'd rather they fine out that I'm fluent in it after I tell them off in Spanish." I said smirking.

Carlos chuckled. "You're loco. See you around Jazo," he said turning to walk to his class.

***

"How's Zak?" Darren asked, sitting in the seat in front of me.

"Fine," Was my curt reply. After the words were out I felt a little bad for saying them so harshly. His cloudy grey, blue eyes seemed so genuine. I mentally swatted the guilty feeling away. "Why didn't you guys stop the fight?" I asked not caring how genuine his weird eyes appeared.

"Asked coach if we should stop it. He said let em fight it out until it got serious," he said looking down.

More people started filing into home room chatting. "It did get serious," I hissed, "my brother is in the hospital."

"Yeah... We should've stopped it." He said, then he looked up at me grinning. "Well at least he won."

It took all of my willpower to hold myself back from strangling him with my bare hands. Is that all that guys think about? Fighting and winning?

"Trent's an ass," Darren said looking directly at me. I held his gaze for a second and then looked away.

"I've known him for years so I'm quite clear on that." I told him.

I looked towards the door just as Sofia walked in. Jeans and a hoodie. Auburn hair free. She looked my way and our eyes locked. She looked a bit worried but she gave me a small, closed mouth smile. I didn't return the smile. Instead I looked away like she meant nothing. Not anymore at least.

When the bell rang everyone got up to leave for their next class. Once out in the hallway I heard my name being called from behind me.

"Jazirah," Sofia said, trying falling into step with me as I walked faster down the hall, "Is Zak ok? I heard that he's in the hospital." I stopped abruptly.

"Why do you care?" I asked, staring at her hard.

"I just-" she stared but I cut her off.

"You just what? Huh? You come back here not giving a damn about anybody else except yourself and now Zak's in the hospital and your oh so worried!" I snapped, ignoring the on lookers, "I know you liked or maybe even loved him before but you can just stop it. Don't worry about. You've hurt him enough." And with that I turned around and continued on to my next class ignoring the words ummi had said the day before.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: yeah it's been a while I know! So so so sorry. From now on my chapters are gonna be a bit short so that I can't update faster. If your mad go ahead and throw rotten tomatoes at me -_-

Alsoooo if it makes u happy the next chapter will be Sofia's pov!!! are y'all excited??

This chapter is dedicated to HijabiFreedom. Check out her poems and stories!! I'm a HUGE fan of her poetry! She's awesome MaSha'Allah!

COMMENT AND VOTE!!!

-Janni Banani <3