Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The school day seemed to drag on at a slow pace. All I wanted to do was go home and sleep. The whole school was buzzing about how Trent and Sofia were a couple now and I worried about Zak. He was still pissed off at me about this morning and wouldn't even look my way when I'd see him.

Khalilah had a few classes with me but didn't even acknowledge me. I saved her a seat besides me and motion for her to sit there when she'd come into the classroom but she would just roll her eyes and sit in the back if the class alone. A lot of people whispered things about her and her niqab but no one said anything to her about it... That I had seen at least.

I was shocked at lunch when Khalilah sat down at a table with just one other person sitting there who happened to be Sofia.

"Jazirah, lunch period is almost over and you haven't even eaten anything." Sydney frowned. The other girls at the table just looked at me.

"I'm not hungry," I muttered, looking down at the unwelcoming salad I had bought.

"Liar. Your stomach has been growling this whole time." One of the girls laughed.

I just stood up and told them I was about to pray before I walked over to where Khalilah was sitting.

"Hey," I said when I approached her, "my brother and I are gonna pray Dhuhr now. You wanna join us?" I asked without sparing Sofia a glance.

"Sure," Khalilah answered, pulling out her phone. "Imma text my bro and tell him to come out of class to pray."

I nodded. "Ok. Lemme go get Zak."

I couldn't find Zakariyah anywhere in the cafeteria so I went outside to try to find him. It was pretty cold outside so there wasn't many people out there eating which made it easier to spot him and Carlos standing against the wall talking. From where I was standing I could tell Zak was venting his frustration to Carlos who would occasionally nod his head. As soon as I walked over he stopped talking and wouldn't look at me.

"Hey," I said feeling awkward.

"Hey," Carlos said while Zak remained silent.

"It's time for Salaah," I told my brother and he just walked away leaving me alone with Carlos who shook his head.

"He's mad at you, girl." he chuckled.

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious," I muttered looking down.

"Why don't you ju-"

"No," I said cutting him off, already knowing what he'd say.

"Ok, ok." He raised his hands and said.

When I went back to get Khalilah I found her standing outside of the cafeteria with her brother, Khalil. As I led them to the teachers' lounge Khalilah said, "So how exactly is Zakariyah your brother?"

"He's my milk brother," I explained.

"Ah..." She said. "He's pretty cute." I frowned and gave her a side ways glance. "What? I got my first glance," she shrugged, "but don't worry. I'm not one of those types of girls that'll be all up in your face just to get to know more about your bro and not give a crap about you... I just thought I'd mention that he's kinda cute that's all."

I was lost on what to say. She was very straight forward and blunt which could be a good thing and a bad thing. "Uh, ok," I responded with an unsure chuckle.

After we made Salaah Khalilah and her brother left the lounge as I stayed back wanting to speak with Zak.

"Can you say something?" I asked, annoyed with him ignoring me.