Mesmerised

Chapter 16: Mesmerised

“Okay, ground rules.” Keegan announced as we walked up the path to the house where the ‘welcome home’ party was being held. We could hear the music blaring three blocks away so that close it was like standing right next to the speakers. As a result Keegan had to speak louder than usual and I still couldn’t catch everything he said, “No accepting drinks from anyone. Don’t dance with anyone unless Levi, Jarrod or one of my parents give you the go-ahead. Everyone here is very much aware of the fact that you are human and there are some that’ll do anything just for a laugh so be careful.”

As he went on I grew more and more disconcerted, wondering what on earth he expected to happen at this so-called ‘party’ – it sounded more like a death trap to me. “Are you sure this is such a good idea if you have to warn me about so much?” I muttered, eyeing the house like it was going to jump out and bite me. Oh god, I hated parties when I knew that everyone was human, never mind one where by the sounds of it I was going to be the only human. Stealing my dead best friend from the morgue I can do. Fighting a psychotic Were I can do. Parties, never mind supernatural parties, no way in hell.

Keegan took my hand and squeezed it gently. “Just stick by me. It’s going to take some getting used to but once you’re acclimatised you’ll be able to tell the people you can trust from those you can’t.”

Instead of going in through the bright red door in the front of the house we moved round the back, passing a few people as we went until Keeg tugged me aside. “Instincts are crucial here, Bunny. If something feels wrong just tell them you’re here with me and they’ll back right off – and don’t panic, okay? You’re gonna see some pretty weird stuff.”

Yes I felt completely reassured now. Not. “This is not going to end well. Can’t we just skip? I’m sorry but I don’t think I’m in the mood to be toyed with by paranormals.”

He simply chuckled, pressed a kiss to my forehead and all but yanked me into the backyard.

I had to use all my willpower to keep my jaw from hitting the floor as I took in the scene before us. It was…it was…completely fantastic and creepy as hell. Was that guy seriously…? My eyes widened to the size of saucers as we passed a guy that appeared about five years older than me having at a girl’s neck right there by the wall. Initially it looked like they’d just gotten a little too friendly – until you noticed the golden brown blood staining her pale blue skin and bright pink frothy dress. Yes, you read right; blue skin and honey-coloured blood.

I felt more than heard Keegan’s chuckle as he wrapped an arm around my waist to guide me away, “I know for a fact your mother taught you that it’s rude to stare.”

I glared at him even as I blushed ten shades of red. “What is she?” I asked, glancing back at the girl who didn’t seem the least bit perturbed by the vamp sucking her blood.

“Fae, probably a Dryad.” Keegan explained, not sounding the least bit concerned.

A nice little titbit that he’d shared with me early burst to the forefront of my mind, “You said you can’t drink any blood but a humans!” I accused, poking his chest hard with my finger. If this was another lie –

“No, you asked if we drank animal blood and that still stands as a no. Okay I know I’m going to have to explain this all properly so come on.” He crossed the bustling back yard in an instant, leaving me behind to shove through the crowd of, well, everything. I couldn’t even begin to put a name to what surrounded me as they all blurred together. Unfortunately I got stuck in the middle, unable to push forward but unable to go back the way I’d come.

It was then that a very attractive guy as pale as snow with hair the colour of spring grass spiked all over the place appeared in front of me. “Hello little one.” he hummed, the musical chime enthralling as he caught my eyes with his intense fiery ones. I gasped softly at the sight of the embers burning in his eyes, little flickers of red dancing around beneath bright flames. I barely registered the sultry smile that tipped at his perfect bow-shaped lips as he moved even closer, swaying his jean-clad hips gently.