Breaking and Entering

Chapter 10: Breaking and Entering

It turned out grabbing the keys wasn’t that hard since mom tossed them in the dish on the side table near the door when she walked in later that evening. All I had to do was walk up and stuff them in my pocket. Mom didn’t notice a thing since she was busy trying to coax Miles into eating the strawberry yogurt flavoured food.

He was having none of it was usual and proceeded to burst into tears when mom tried to get him to eat it.

Mom let out a tired groan as she hauled him into her arms, rocking from side to side to calm him. “Honey, do you think you could cook something for yourself and look after Miles for a few hours? I’m in desperate need of a nap.”

I froze near the fridge, my heart picking up speed. What? Oh this was not good. I spun on my heel to regard her only to hold my tongue at the sight of her.

She truly did look exhausted with dark purple bags hanging under her worn out brown eyes and her black hair a mess as it came loose from the bun she’d put it in. My shoulders slumped, not heartless enough to say no to her. She deserved a few hours off. Miles would be asleep by the time I had to meet the others, anyway. I could look after my baby brother until then.

I scooped him up, smiling down at him as he giggled happily, “Sure, Mom. You go get some rest, I’ve got him. Hey Giggles! Yeah, we’re gonna have lots of fun, aren’t we? Come on, Munchkin, we better get you tidied up before you fall asleep with that yucky stuff all over you.” I cooed, pressing big kisses all over his face making him squeal with delight.

“Thank you, Liz.” Mom sighed before heading up the stairs for her much needed time off.

I noted that she didn’t say a word about school or how things had gone. It made me curious about what exactly occurred after I’d left. Had anyone found the blood or had Jarrod and the others cleaned it up? Wasn’t anyone the least bit worried about me just up and leaving in the middle of school? I decided I’d worry about that later, at the moment I had more important things on my mind – like my baby brother and dead-but-not-quite vampire best friend’s imminent rescue.

xXx

It turned out that Miles was not only on a hunger strike but a sleeping strike too. No wonder mom was so tired, she’d probably spent the night up with not only me crying about Keegan but Miles’ sudden insomnia. I tried everything under the sun to get him to doze off so that I could sneak out but nothing was working. I’d sang, carried him around, laid him down, switched off the lights and even fed him some warm milk with honey which usually did the trick. No dice. Miles was not going to sleep any time soon. Which meant one thing if I wanted to keep my mom in the blue about what I was going to do tonight: Take him with.

I knew that Levi would be pissed as hell but wasn’t too sure about the others. I decided to hope for the best and when the lime green Audi pulled into our drive I bundled Miles up and crept out. I hadn’t even reached the car before Levi was throwing a fit, gesturing towards Miles with fury etched in his face. I tore open the back door and slid in next to Atticai, offering a small smile before I reached forward and smacked Levi upside the head.

“Stop cussing, there are children present.” I admonished, bouncing Miles on my knee.

He all but blew a gasket in response, “And why the bleeding Hades is there a child present? Fug, Masters, what do you think this is? A fun little activity you can bring the kids along to? We’re breaking into a freaking morgue! Not Barney’s playpen!”

I speared Levi with a heated glare, “Look, I didn’t have any other choice okay? If I left him he’d wake my mom and she’d know I was gone. Now can we get going before my mom sees us?”