Warning Bells

Chapter 18: Warning Bells

Of course, I wasn’t about to sit by while Keegan and every other person I’d met here – including Levi despite his position as lead douchebag in my eyes – fought. No way was that going down. So I made a beeline for the door after patting myself down to find that every little injury was now healed leaving me feeling like I was bursting with energy.

I didn’t get further than the door as I smashed right into something completely invisible, slightly springy – and blocking the doorway. I gasped as I bounced back from the impact, clicking instantly what it was. Xatha sealed me in the damn house!

I ran for the closest window, throwing it open only to have my hand forced to a stop by the invisible barrier. I’m going to kill that damn Faery! “You better be able to hear me you self-righteous pixie,” I hissed under my breath, fiddling with the latch on the next window only reach the same conclusion as before. Any and all exits were a no-go. “I am going to skin you alive and use your wings as wall decorations.”

xXx

Half an hour later, after pacing a dip into the carpet in front of the door I heard a commotion outside. I dove for the window, letting out a relieved sigh as Keegan and Lucy came into view, both covered in dirt and their clothes ripped to shreds but outwardly fine. As they rushed up the front steps I threw open the door and flung my arms around Keegan the second he was within reach.

He hugged me hard enough that it cut off all oxygen to my lungs but I couldn’t care less right then. “Oh my god, what happened? Are you okay? Where’s Xatha? I’m going to kill him!” I babbled, pushing away to give him a once-over even though I knew he wouldn’t have any visible wounds.

It was only when I met his eyes that I knew something had happened. His usually deep blue eyes were now so dark they looked almost black and filled with tears. “Keegan.” I gasped, the same tingle I’d felt the night he’d disappeared slipping down my spine.

Lucy popped up beside me, hair a mess, eyes blood red from crying and tear tracks trailing down her cheeks as she placed a hand on my arm and roughly said, “Liz, honey, I n-need –” her voice broke. She took a second to breath in deeply and with a determined glint in her eye spoke again, “Would you mind packing a few things for Jolene? I would but I’m afraid I have to –”

Keegan cut her off, wrapping her up in a hug, “We’ve got it, Mom.” He assured and after kissing her son on the cheek and mumbled something under her breath she left again, all but running down the path only to blur out of sight the second she reached the road.

“Keegan.” I whispered, “Who…?”

He didn’t look at me but rather gazed over my shoulder into the lounge. “Jonathon.” I breathed, my own eyes filling with tears. “Oh Keegan.” I bit my trembling lip and squeezed my eyes shut so the tears wouldn’t fall. Then, once I was sure they wouldn’t I took action. There was only one thing I knew to do when Keegan was faced with his parents’ death. Distraction. I grabbed hold of his hand and forcibly tugged him towards the stairs. “Come on, we need to pack for Jolene.” I instructed firmly, at a half run by the time I reached her room. “Help me find a bag and you get started on the cupboard. I’ll do the drawers.” With my lame attempt at distraction in place pushed him over to the cupboard and we both began digging around for a large enough bag.

It only took us fifteen minutes to pack everything we thought Jolene would need including a stash of teddies in separate bag. After Jolene’s things were sorted I made Keegan get everything he needed in order as well as getting a bag ready for Lucy.

I knew we were leaving. If Keegan was as important as I guessed then keeping him safe would be a number one priority especially now that his dad was gone – and that meant moving to a safer location.