Supernatural

Chapter 6: Supernatural

“Good thing I don’t have to take a step then.” A musical voice chimed from behind us, promptly followed by a sickening crunch as psycho crumpled to the ground. 

I just stood there, gaping at the pool of blood accumulating beside Psycho’s head, my heart beating a mile a minute as I contemplated whether or not to thank whoever these people were or run screaming in the opposite direction. 

“You ruin all the fun, Deirdre.” The black haired guy whined, poking at Psycho’s limp form with the tip of his boot. “Ugh, he’s going to be out for at least a half hour.”

“We have more important things to take care of, Levi!” the musical voice hissed and I turned my head to find a petite girl no older than fifteen glaring daggers at the black haired one. 

“She’s right, we need to move. If he’s here then they’re not going to be far behind and we need to get her somewhere safe. Not to mention the fact that we have to get Keegan out of here.” The blond stated, whipping out his phone. 

That snapped me out of my shocked daze. What was with people and mentioning Keegan? More importantly why the hell were they talking about him like he was still alive? Oh god, school was a bad idea. I should have stayed home. A sudden wave of nausea hit me and I collapsed into the wooden chair, burying my face in my hands. 

This wasn’t good. 

“Deirdre you and Atticai take care of…this.” The blond instructed causing a surge of panic. Take care of this? What was that supposed to mean? The blood drained from my face as I glanced at the unmoving form of Psycho. Sure, he wasn’t the nicest of people but what fifteen-year-old can conk someone over the head that hard? And what had she hit him with anyway? I couldn’t find any sign of a weapon anywhere in the room. 

My head snapped up, watching incredulously as the three of them continued to converse like I wasn’t eve there. That made me angry. All of the emotions that had accumulated since Keegan’s disappearance flared to the surface and I’m surprised I didn’t scream it out, “Who the hell are you people?” ok, so maybe that was a little loud but I can’t be blamed for being near hysterics. 

I’d almost had my throat slit by a psychotic therapist only to be saved by three complete strangers who I knew weren’t normal and who I’m pretty had killed said psychotic therapist and on top of that they’re all talking about Keegan like they knew him. 

They all paused, glancing at each other like they were arguing over who should handle the catatonic madwoman in the corner. Finally, sensing my unstable mood the blond stepped forward slowly and offered a warm smile. “It’s nice to meet you, Lisbeth.”

I don’t know why I was so freaked out about him knowing my name since I had a crap load more concerning things to worry about but I jumped from the chair, gripping the knife I’d snatched from Psycho just after he’d fallen and pointing it at blondie in warning. 

He held up his hands in surrender, blue-grey eyes widening slightly. 

The black haired guy whistled, “Careful there, buddy, or she’s gonna make a carpet out of you.” Thoroughly entertained by the thought he let out a laugh as he settled against the wall not looking the least bit perturbed by any of this. 

Blondie shot him an irritated scowl before holding his hands out to me, “I’m Jarrod, that’s Levi and Deirdre. We’re here to help, Lisbeth.” He hesitated for a moment, contemplating his words, “Keegan sent us.”

I barked out a humourless laugh, my eyes flitting from one figure to the other. “Does it look like I care about your names? I want to know why you’re here. The truth this time.” I snapped, not moving as blondie took a step towards me. “Not a good idea. I’m pissed off as hell right now and I would just love to lash out at someone.”

He had the good sense to stop but kept talking, “Look, we don’t have much time Lisbeth. We need you to help us. You might be the only one who can.” He sifted a hand through his shoulder length hair, the strands framing his soft features perfectly. 

“Help? Why the hell would I help you? You’re obviously all mentally unstable.” The adrenaline was wearing off and in its place exhaustion was setting in; one that blurred the edges of my vision and made my legs feel like jelly. Normal people would have run for help by now, called a teacher or something. Normal kids didn’t hang around dead bodies chatting casually like the guy was just taking a nap and hadn’t just had his head smashed in. 

Jarrod’s gleaming eyes instantly turned slate-grey and his lips pressed into a thin white line. All humour or lightness in the room instantly dissipated, even Levi had pushed off the wall and was looking very solemn. “Because if you don’t Keegan is going to die.”

I gaped at them incredulously before bursting into hysterical laughter. 

They were obviously all unsettled by my unhinged state because Levi cocked an eyebrow at me curiously. “We are thinking about the same Keegan right? Because if we are then I need to tell you he’s not going to be doing anything. Do you want to know why? Because He’s currently lying in the morgue while my mom cuts him up," My voice broke, unable to stop picturing that very scene. Despite the tears making everything unfocused I ploughed on. "’Cause Keegan Masters was killed last week. Get that? Dead.  Missing a massive chunk of his throat; bled out and was in a ditch for half a week. Not exactly something someone can come back from miraculously.” I leaned heavily against the wall, ignoring the sharp pain that zinged up my arm as my elbow jammed harshly into the brick. 

I wanted Keegan so badly right then that it made my chest ache like my heart had been torn out.  

“Can’t you do something to help her?” Jarrod whispered probably thinking I couldn’t hear him. Why did all the crazy crap have to start after he was gone? He’d know exactly how to handle this situation while I was making a royal ass of myself. 

“No I can’t, dumbass. If I could we wouldn’t be here now would we? Just get the damn HuMo in the car so we can leave.” Levi grumbled, pointing accusingly at me. 

Deirdre just floated past the two arguing boys and placed her hands on her hips, “If you stay here there will be questions. We can smooth this over if you come with us.” Without another word she swept out of the room, curly black bob bouncing as she did. 

“Right. I have fuzzy, you get the girl.” Levi rubbed his hands together as if that solved all of our problems before grabbing Psycho by his suit and hauling him over his shoulder. He didn’t look like it was bothering him at all. 

Then it was just Jarrod and I by ourselves and I wanted nothing more than to go home. I hadn’t even realised I’d dropped the pocket knife until Jarrod scooped it up, snapped it closed and tipped his head to the side. “He said you’d be strong enough to handle it but I don’t think he took into account everything that’s happened today.”

I instantly knew he was talking about Keegan, bringing a frown to my face, “Handle what?”

Jarrod chuckled, “Long story but let’s just say there are a few things he wasn’t exactly honest about.” He glanced down at the puddle of blood, drawing my attention to it once again. 

“He’s dead.” I stated knowing full well that a conk that bad and the amount of blood loss wouldn’t be survivable. Hell, even if he did survive his brain would be mush. I wasn’t entirely sure how to feel about that. On one hand he’d clearly tried to kill me, probably would have tortured me for the fun of it and on the other he was still a person – a creepy person I’ll admit – and he’d been offed by a teenage girl. 

Jarrod shot me a reassuring smile, my thoughts probably written on my face as clear as day. “No.  He’s going to have a bit of a headache when he wakes up – and probably a few other issues when Atticai is done with him – but he’ll live.” He gestured towards the door, “We’ll explain everything, Lisbeth, but I think you need a few minutes to calm down before we do.”

Hey hey! I’m not 100% happy with this chapter so please let me know if it’s not up to par and I’ll rewrite it. :-) I don’t want to cuff it up now. 

Drop me a comment and tell me your thoughts!

AndUCallMeWeird