Waiting

THE AMAZING BANNER WAS MADE BY ThatSofiaChick. I THINK IT'S FRAWESOME :-)

Chapter 2: Waiting

Chief Jamison sifted a hand through his salt and pepper hair as he contemplated the situation. Mom had driven me over to the station so that I could explain to the chief what happened the last time I saw Keegan while Jane and Frank filed a missing persons report. 

“Look, Jane, you know I’d like to help find Keegan but the fact of the matter is he’s not a minor anymore and he’s only been gone a day. For all we know he’s taken an impromptu trip and is going to call any minute.”

Jane’s honey eyes were wide with worry and disbelief, “You can’t be serious, Christopher! You know Keegan, he would never just up and go like this! Something has happened to him and we need to find him!”

Frank wrapped an arm around her shoulders to calm her slightly, “He’s never done this before, Chris. Even if he had just left he would have called someone by now. Liz hasn’t heard from him either and you know that they are as close as two people can be.”

“He’s not answering his phone and I haven’t heard from him at all since yesterday.” I insisted, wringing my hands together nervously. 

Chief Jamison finally caved, “Alright, I’ll tell everyone to keep an eye out for him and send out some patrols. I honestly wouldn’t worry, Frank. It’s a small town, he couldn’t have gone very far and like you said; it’s Keegan he’s a good kid. I’m not too concerned and you shouldn’t be either. It’s probably a misunderstanding.”

“We’re still filing.” Jane persisted, “If it is a misunderstanding like you say then that’s fine but if it’s not…”

Chief Jamison nodded, “Why don’t you tell me about yesterday, Liz. Did anything seem off about Keegan?”

I shook my head, “No, everything was fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. He was his usual joking self.”

“Did he give any indication that he planned to leave for anything or what his plans for today were?” 

“Yeah, we were supposed to meet before sunset, he asked me to make him brownies.” That stupid little fact had tears brimming as I picturing the massive pout he’d given me and the begging. Then something clicked, what he’d said when I’d complained about the impending shopping trip mom was dragging me on. At the time I’d figured he just meant that he had to work but now… I swiped at my eyes, “He did say he wouldn’t be able to save me today.” 

Chief Jamison gave me a perplexed look, “Save you?”

I nodded, “Mom took me shopping today and he knows how much I hate it. He’s usually there to pick me up about an hour in then we head over to Frosty’s. I didn’t ask him about it, I just thought he had to work at Valkyrie or something.”

The chief scribbled down everything I said, scanning over everything as he chewed on the back of a Bic. “Okay, I’ll check with the restaurant and see if he was scheduled to work or not and talk with his co-workers. Let me know if he shows up.” 

Jane didn’t look the least bit soothed by the Chief’s efforts and Frank had to all pick her up and carry her out of the station.  Mom was outside waiting for me but at the sight of Frank and Jane she paled. “They’re going to ask around and find out if anyone’s seen him.” I sourly grumbled, jumping into the old Toyota and slamming the door hard. 

Mom nibbled on her lip, “Let’s hope he comes home tonight.” Was all she said before starting the car.  

hope you liked it! 

Don't forget to drop a comment!

AndUCallMeWeird