28 - Mandatory Meeting

There was always something about campfires that soothed me, whether it was gathering around the fire with friends or just relaxing at the feeling of the warm glow the fire emitted, it was one of my favorite things to do on a late summer night

"Hey, guys. So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope questioned while JJ threw sticks into the fire.

I looked from John B over to JJ as he pointed finger guns at him. "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed."

"You ready for this?" John B asked us as I shivered in my seat, even with JJ's extra jacket wrapped around me I still felt like I was about to freeze to death.

"I'm not sitting here freezing for nothing, spill it." I said, hugging the jacket closer to me as JJ put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him.

"Rude, but basically the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." I raised my brows in confusion but something in my gut told me he was telling the truth.

Pope on the other hand didn't seem that convinced and made sure to voice his disbelief. "Oh, my God. Here we go again with this."

"No. Alright, wait. Hear him out, alright?" JJ shushed him as John B put his finger up to his lips before continuing. "It's been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"Are you serious? Oh, my God." Kie whispered in shock. It was on the island? Out of all the places, it was right there with us the entire time.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope said, pointing to John B.

"I'm sure you would, Pope, but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" He said standing up.

"Proceed." Pope sighed.

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny." John B explained pulling out a piece of paper from his backpack.

"Who the hell's that?" I asked scrunching my nose and looking up at my brother.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out." John B explained unfolding the letter and handing it over to me. "Here you go."

"Okay, so slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but dad found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery." He said as I inspected the letter with JJ peering over my shoulder. "So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom."

I handed the letter over to Kie as John B continued on with his story. "After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, because that farm is...Tannyhill Plantation."

"Tannyhill?" Kie questioned.

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pissed off all the white planters, and then they decided to lynch him." He explained before pausing for a second.