24 - Please Don't Go

"Nothing?" JJ turned around to greet me as I entered Hayward's shop and threw my phone down before taking a seat next to him

"It would be helpful if I had any service around here. It's like he dropped off the face of the Earth."

"I'm sure he's fine." Kie reassured me from behind the counter. "Any minute now he's gonna walk through that door as if nothing's happened."

"You really believe that?" I questioned her. John B has never been gone this long without telling me where he's going or even checking in.

A few seconds went by of Kie and JJ exchanging looks before JJ turned to me and held my hand in his. "Don't worry, he can make it on his own for a little."

I sent JJ a small smile before hearing the bell of the door ring and looked over to see Pope and Heyward walking into the store with a handful of grocery bags.

"What happened to being here bright and early?" I greeted them from my seat.

"Please Kennedy, when was the last time that all of you have been on time?" Heyward asked me as he set down a few bags of supplies behind the counter.

"Right now?" I shrugged, motioning to everyone as JJ waved at him.

"Now that's a first." Heyward shook his head before going back to work.

"Hey, don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us." JJ told Pope as he started helping his dad behind the counter. "That's typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell, yeah." Kie cheered next to Pope.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ questioned, throwing an apple into the air and catching it.

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct. I was a cornered animal." He explained as he stood above the cash register, organizing the money.

"Hey, Pope, someone here to see you." Heyward called out and I turned around to see him walking back into the shop with the deputy behind him.

"Shit. Shit. Shit." I muttered under my breath, it didn't seem like he recognized me from the other day but what did he want with Pope?

"Evening, Officer." Pope replied calmly even though we could all tell he was freaking out on the inside.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." The deputy ordered without any hesitation and began making his way towards Pope.

"What?" Heyward questioned, looking back and forth between Pope and the deputy.

"Hands where I can see 'em." He ordered again as Pope looked back at JJ.

"Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward asked confused about what was going on.

"Look at the warrant." The deputy said while handcuffing Pope.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward questioned but everyone began talking at once so nothing could be heard clearly. "Shoupe, are you listening?"

My eyes darted around the store while everyone yelled before I turned to JJ and tugged on his arm. "We can't let him take Pope, you know what this will do to him."

"Anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law." The deputy began reading his rights as he dragged Pope out of the store.

"How much did they pay you, man? How much did they pay you?" JJ shouted as we all followed them outside to the police car.

Everyone that followed them out to the car was now yelling at the deputy and JJ had to be pushed back several times.

I watched from a distance as Pope was escorted to the car until I noticed JJ stop mid jog. "It wasn't him!"

I wanted to yell at JJ, we both knew he was making a mistake but at that moment I was frozen still and somehow let him continue.

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." JJ explained, waking up to Pope. "I can't let you take the blame for something I did. You've got too much to lose."

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope tried arguing but JJ cut him off. "I'm telling the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth."

But that was the thing, he wasn't telling the truth but I knew he didn't have the heart to accept the real truth. "I took his old man's boat, too." JJ added.

"What the hell?" Hayward crossed his arms.

"JJ come one." Pope cut him off, he could be just as stubborn as JJ when he wants to.

"Just shut up, Pope!" JJ raised his voice, surprising us all. "Just shut up. He's a good kid. You know where I'm from."

"Yeah." The deputy nodded. "This was all me." JJ admitted.

I felt guilty staying quiet, JJ was my best friend but I'm letting him dig himself into a deep hole.

"That's the whole truth?" The deputy asked Pope.

"Whole truth, swear to God." JJ nodded, starting right at Pope, not letting go of his glare.

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope." The deputy snapped and looked back at Pope.

"Yeah, that about covers it." He muttered, looking down at the ground.

JJ finally looked back at me once the deputy began to uncuff Pope. "Please don't go." I whispered, not caring I was crying at this point.

I ran over to JJ and he immediately wrapped his arms around me. I wrapped my arms so tight around his neck I was sure I was choking him but he didn't seem to care.

"Come on, I'm not waiting all day." The deputy hurried us along.

After a few more seconds, JJ was the first to let go and wiped off my tears. "Don't worry about me, I'll be okay. You have Pope and John B to protect you while I'm gone. Everything's gonna be okay, I-"

"Hey get off of me!" JJ yelled as Shoupe began pulling him towards the police car.

"Hey leave him alone!" I screamed and tried to run after them but Pope held me back.

JJ looked back at me and for the first time in a long time, he generally looked scared. "Hey wait! I wasn't done! Kennedy! I wasn't done! I love you! Wait!"

Before I could respond, JJ was pushed into the van and they immediately drove off after. JJ, the JJ who I've been best friends with since we were children loved me?

"Kenn? Are you okay?" Pope asked me before I let out a sob and dropped to my knees. I sat there for who knows how long as Pope held me. JJ loved me?

~~~

What do you think of this chapter? I got a little emotional writing it so I hope you all really enjoy it!

Also thank you all for being patient with my updating schedule, I've been really busy lately and I'm trying my best to get chapters written!