Chapter 5

"So let me get this straight," The principal says, "you punched Olivia because she wouldn't say sorry?"

"I guess so," Courtney stares at her feet.

"That's unacceptable," the principle scolds her. "Just because someone doesn't say sorry it doesn't mean you punch them."

"No!" Courtney yells. "I don't get in trouble. My parents can sue you!"

"Courtney, sit back down," the principle says softly.

Courtney sits back down and glares at me. She smiles because of my black eye with an ice pack over it.

"You may leave now," the principle tells me.

I slowly get up and leave the room. I don't feel like going to class because everyone will be asking questions about the fight. Instead, I go into the girl's bathroom and check my eye. It isn't super bad but there is a bruise left behind. The ice helped the swelling but it still hurts. I leave the bathroom and go to my next class. When I walk inside the classroom everyone stares at me. I quietly sit down and put my head into my hands. Jason moves to sit next to me and smiles.

"What happened to Courtney?" Jason ask me.

"I don't know. The principle dismissed me," I reply.

"I hope she gets in school suspension or something," Jason laughs.

I just nod and put my head on the desk. Before I can fall asleep, the bell rings. I stand up and walk to my locker. Courtney is nowhere to be seen. Nearby some of her friends are talking.

"I heard she got suspended," a blonde hair girl whispers.

"For how long," another one of her friends asks.

"Three days, I think," the blonde one replies.

I close my locker and pray that the rest of the day goes by fast. Sure enough it does and soon I am sitting outside in my backyard that night.

"Olivia come here!" I hear my mom yell from inside.

I stand up and walk inside and my mom is scanning over the mail.

"We are going to visit our new neighbors tonight for dinner," my mom says.

"I don't know, mom," I reply. "I'd rather not see anyone from school when I'm not in school."

"I don't care. You are going and we are going to have a great time." My mom claps her hands together.

"Is dad coming?" I ask.

"Honey," my mom smiles sympathetically, "you know he can't. He has work," My mom replies.

"Can't you just ask," I beg.

"Okay, just don't be disappointed if he says no," she replies.

I smile even though I already know the answer. I hardly ever see my dad because he is always working. I miss him all the time and it's hard on my mom.

"We leave at seven 'o clock," my mom says.

I check the clock and I have three hours until we leave. I run upstairs into my room and lock the door. I have to find something to wear. I would rather do something else on my Friday night than this. I look through my closet but I can't find anything. I hear a knock at the door and I open it up. My mom stands in the hallway holding up articles of clothing.

"Looking for something to wear?" My mom smiles at me.

I smile back and give her a hug. I take the clothes into my room, closing the door behind me. I lay them out of the bed and realize how pretty they are. It's a thin crème colored sweater and a black skirt with purple flowers. I throw on the clothes and realize that my brown hair looks horrendous. I first brush out all the knots then try to decide what to do with it. I could put it up in a ponytail, straighten it, or curl it. In the end I straighten my hair and look in the mirror. I have never felt pretty before and right now that's exactly how I feel. Pretty. My phone beeps and I get a text message from my mom. It says she is going food shopping and will be back soon. It beeps again and the text is also from my mom. I read it and start to almost cry. My dad isn't coming. Like always. I finish getting ready and go downstairs to get a bite to eat. I don't want to eat like a pig at the party so I just eat some food now. I stop in my tracks. It's a party. Other people will be there. Possibly people from our school. I suddenly don't feel hungry anymore. I hear a door open.

"I'm home!" My mom sings.

"Hi mom," I reply.

"There are going to be other people there but do you want to bring Cassie along?" My mom asks while trying to carry fifty bags of groceries into the kitchen.

"Sure," I say shrugging my shoulders. I'm super excited she can come but I don't want to show my mom that. I text Cassie and she says she can't come. She has to go to her aunt's house for dinner. Her only aunt died four years ago. I shrug and then I realize I'm going to be left alone with Andrew and the other jerks that are there. I check the time and I have an hour left. I spend that hour in the backyard. I backyard is very big and trees scatter the yard. I sit down trying not to get any grass stains on my clothes. Just like always, I hear Andrew coming up to the fence.

"Hey Olivia," Andrew smiles.

"Hey. Is there going to be people from our school at the party?" I ask.

"No just some family friends," Andrew laughs.

I smile because his laugh is so cute. Oh no, I really am in love.