Chapter 6

What would I do if I were rich? Well, I would be infinitely more nicer than the Goodes in how I treated people, I thought to myself as I sat mopping up the last dregs of soup with my bread.

I often thought of things I would do if I inherited a huge sum of money. I would travel. I would be free to do as I pleased. I would never feel hungry. I would entertain myself by going to the theatre as Mrs Goode seemed to do occasionally. I would never marry.

Why would I want a man to own my wealth and property? Marriage seemed like a jail sentence to me. The girls had talked about their beaus adoringly and talked of marriage continuously as they went about their work. Perhaps they hoped they could be rescued from this mind-numbing existence of serving rich people by finding a suitably wealthy and dashing suitor on horseback.

Once Mary Tanner had asked me if I had a beau and I had replied firmly that I had no need of one. All the others had laughed at me and a particularly nasty girl called Annie Blackmore had said that I was as ugly as the dirt on the street and that it was hardly a surprise as she’d heard my mother was a prostitute. Of course, I didn’t stand for that. I had leapt up and hit her as quick as a blackbird. She was bigger and older than me yet she ended up crying even though it was a soft slap. later on, Mrs James punished me by barring anyone from speaking to me for a week and I ate nothing but cold, gruel-like porridge all week.

A/N: Please VOTE/COMMENT! Thanks! :) Do you think she's treated unfairly?? :D