Chapter 2

I entered and strode in, directing my eyes on her brittle blue ones. 
Her great niece Penelope was at the piano, her long, elegant fingers flicking rapidly through the music sheet. 
Mrs Goode glanced at me with an irritated look. She seemed to regard me as if I were a small insignificant animal that needed to be shot. Her lips curled at the corners with contempt for me and she resumed talking to her niece.

'Bravo, my dear. That piece was simply exquisite.’

Penelope smiled politely and turned round to her aunt.

'Of course, I still need to practice a little more but it is coming along well, isn’t it?’

The aunt graced her with an indulgent look.

'Penelope, you are too modest. It is a commendable quality in a young woman.'

'Shall I play another, Aunt?'

Mrs Goode encouraged her to do so. I mentally congratulated myself on my luck. Perhaps I would be ignored for now and could slip into a corner of the room unnoticed by the two women. They might leave after a while to get dressed for supper and I could escape.

As Penelope was readying herself to play another piece, she suddenly swivelled around gracefully. Her eyes gleaming as she gave me a cursory glance.

'Oh, Aunt! What does that creature want?'

Penelope was a loathsome being. Why was it that some physically attractive people were so awful in the way they treated others? I sighed and prepared for the worse.  

The Aunt turned her attention on me finally and something made her dainty, fine features look at me with revulsion.

'Oh, yes. Unfortunately, Ruth has been taken ill so she cannot carry out her duties at present.'

'The servants make up any excuse to slack off.’ Penelope said, sneering at me and my dull uniform in distaste.

'Yes. Silly girl. She should of taken more care of herself. She's left me at a great inconvenience’

The aunt responded, reclining further back on the chaise longue. She didn't look at me but she motioned me closer toward her.

I walked forward. The thin soles of my worn boots sinking into the thick crimson carpet. I felt as though I were embarking into the lion’s den.

‘You called for me, Ma'am.' I said, confused as to why Mrs Goode hadn't started her usual tirade on me.

'As my lady's maid can not be of service to me at present moment I expect you to mend a few of my garments by tomorrow morning. Is that understood?'

I was surprised as to why she had chosen me to repair her garments but I nodded.

'Yes, Ma'am'

Mrs Goode turned her attention on Penelope and I took that as a sign of my dismissal.

As I turned round to walk back toward the door, Penelope excitedly mentioned someone who I hadn't seen in six years. My ears perked up at his name.

'Aunt, it is wonderful news that Cousin Arthur is paying a visit to Merryfield. I have not seen him since we were small children!’

I halted and a slow grin spread across my face. Arthur Goode. My friend. So Arthur was returning back from university. This was welcome news to me. I felt my mood lift at the thought of seeing this boy — now man — again. What would he look like? Would he still have the same endearing traits I remembered from my girlhood? Perhaps, Arthur would be a stranger to me. I hoped not. 

I bent down to tie my laces to try to hear a little more. 

I could hear the happiness in Mrs Goode’s voice.

‘Yes, Penelope. I await Arthur’s arrival with baited breath.’

That was one thing Mrs Goode and I had in common.

A/N: Please VOTE/COMMENT if you enjoy! It would mean a lot - this is my first story! :) Do you like the rich women or not? :D