Chapter 17

I laughed as soon as I heard the soft bark and felt the warm body of the large labrador nestled between my legs. I could just about make out the outline of the dog, and shook my head, chiding myself for being such an idiot. 

‘You frightened me, Philip, for a minute’ I bent down to thread my fingers through his silky hair. I was rewarded with an appreciative lick against my cheek. 

Philip was Colonel Goode’s labrador and he was getting on a bit.

‘You couldn’t sleep too?’ I said. 

His eyes gleamed in the darkness and the dog uttered a low, soft sound in response. 

I set aside the poker back to its rightful place, with Philip following close by on my heels. I heard the soft ringing of the clock somewhere far away signalling the end of an hour. 

As we stepped into the hall, I heard the mournful wailing again. The dog growled; that familiar feeling of someone watching me seemed to haunt my thoughts. Could it be the wind? Surely, my imagination was playing tricks on me. I couldn’t convince myself as much as I tried. It was coming from the end of the corridor maybe in one of the unused bedrooms. Despite my best efforts, my feet moved silently in the direction of the sinister wails. I needed to find a rational explanation for the sounds. I stopped outside the door. A slit of light appeared from the doorway. I pushed the door open. My heart nearly stopped. I was confronted with an empty room. 

A/N: PLEASE VOTE/COMMENT! Thank you! I love you guys  :) Do you think June's going mad? :D