Chapter 1

'Mrs Goode is calling for you.'

Mrs James rushed into the room with a scowl on her face.

'What does she want now?'

I was busy scrubbing the kitchen tiles. My hands were dripping with tepid soapy water.

Mrs James boxed my ear painfully.

'Have some respect.'

Mrs James always seemed to assault me anytime I said something she disapproved of. I tried to hold my tongue but I found it near impossible to do so. I didn't much like the mistress but what could I do? I depended on the Goode family for a roof over my head and food in my belly. Mrs James was the housekeeper and the closest thing to a mother figure to me since my Ma died when I was five. Mrs James was usually harsh and strict but she wasn't all bad. Sometimes, she gave me extra scraps of food if she was in a particularly generous mood.

Mrs James gripped my arm painfully and ushered me to the doorway. My feet slip on the slippery tiles and knocked into the half-full bucket. She shrieked as the remainder of soapy water splashed onto our skirts and chided me furiously.

'Silly girl. Look what a mess you've made! You can't be relied on to do anything!'

'Mrs James, I'm sorry,' I replied, struggling to hold in my frustration.

I prepared for the onslaught but she surprised me by glaring at me instead.

'Clean yourself up, June. Put on something else.' She changed her mind suddenly. 'Oh, never mind, you needn't look presentable. Your not a lady; thank god for that.' She laughed at her own joke. 'Hurry along. The mistress is in the drawing room. Make sure your respectful, mind. Or else, you'll get a boxing and I'll set you more chores.'

I was shoved roughly out of the parlour and I heard Mrs James commanding the rest of the kitchen staff in her shrill voice.

'You set me more chores regardless,' I muttered. But I took my time heading to the drawing room. I was relieved to have a break from scrubbing the floors. It was a chore I hated doing because my back would ache for days on end.

As I walked through the house that I'd lived in all my life but still felt a stranger to I wondered what the mistress wanted of me. The last few times she'd called for me, she had scowled at me for not doing my duties properly. She'd set me more unpleasant tasks to add to my list. I hoped I'd done nothing to displease her; I could not face another round of insults directed at me. I received more than enough from Mrs James. But as Mrs James said, I should be grateful to live in such a fine house under such generous employers instead of begging on the streets or prostituting myself.

As I approached the large, wood panelled door to the drawing room, I heard the sound of a piano tinkling to a stop and a light smatter of clapping.

I exhaled, muttered a silent prayer, and knocked confidently.

'Enter.' Mrs Goode's voice was as clear and sharp as glass.

A/N: Please VOTE/COMMENT if you're enjoying! :) Thank you! So do you like the girl mc or not?