Chapter 3

I spent the rest of the day trying to mend Mrs Goode’s stockings and slips. Mrs James was as surprised as I had been when I told her I had been assigned this particular task. I wasn’t the best at sewing but I made myself focus on the task at hand.

My thoughts were distracted by Arthur Goode yet I was glad of the excitement he stirred in me at the mere mention of his name. I had many reasons to be grateful to him. He was truly the kindest person I’d ever known. I didn’t much remember my mother but probably if she’d lived longer she would have been kind too. 

My mother had died when I was five years old. I knew very little about her apart from a few details. Mrs Grahame, the Gardener's wife, had told me my mother had been a housemaid and she’d arrived at Merryfield with me when I was a babe. No one knew much about her. She was a secretive lady. My mother hadn’t talked much about her private life but generally she was friendly to everyone who knew her. I’d always tried to ask more about my mother when I was a young girl but Mrs Grahame said there wasn’t much to say. Somehow I had a feeling she may have known more than she was letting on about my mother since I’d found out later that they’d been good friends. Sadly, Mrs Grahame had passed away a few years ago so there was no asking her now. 

A/N: Please VOTE/COMMENT if you enjoy! Thanks! Do you feel sorry for the girl? :D