Chapter 27

Newt's PoV

A whistle echoes through the valley floor. My head shoots up from the boulder I was previously hiding behind.

Today is finally the day we rescue Minho. Our plan is a bit elaborate but so far it seems to be working.

I take a deep breath. If I fail to dislodge the carriages from each other, then we will definitely have failed. No pressure or anything.

My feet carry me towards Thomas and the train carriage. In my peripheral view, I can see the carriage of WCKD soldiers slowing down and hear the screech of brake on track.

Working quickly, I take my mask out of my backpack and fumble about with the blowtorch and spanner. "Come on come on come on." I mutter under my breath. Everything depends on this going well.

"Come on Newt!" Thomas yells from the top of the carriage.

"Don't rush me." I deadpan back- but inside I'm panicking as much as Thomas sounds like he is.

Cries from inside the carriage subside slightly, now realising that they are going to be rescued. I smile slightly knowing that one of the people in the carriage is my best friend: Minho.

My smile falters and falls with the oncoming sound of gunshots and WCKD soldiers shouting.

I rip off my mask as soon as the last bolt is unscrewed and scramble up the ladder.

Thomas lets out a whoop of joy as the berg latches onto the carriage and lifts us up, up, up and away.

Le time skip

"No! We were so close."

I groan internally. I feel my stomach drop and my throat tighten.

We were so close.

Minho was not on the carriage. According to Aris, he was, but then he was taken away.

"Okay where were they taking you?" Thomas inquires the two rescued Fielders.

"We're not sure. All I know is that they kept on talking about a city. It sounded like something big was going to happen."

"A city?" Frypan speaks up, "I didn't think there were any more cities left."

"There's not." Brenda replies- confusion in her words.

"What about here?" Thomas points at a seemingly random location.

"You wanna go wandering off to a random location on a map. You don't even know what's there. Look, I know it's Minho, but I won't risk everything for one man."

"But Vince-"

"No. You remember what happened last time we went off half-cocked. I lost everything."

"I've been there." Jorge speaks up from the doorway. "The Last City. The lions den."

And while I'm listening to their conversation, one thought squeezes my heart... what if Jess is there?

A/N: thank you so much for every view, comment and view! I appreciate it so much xX