Chapter 22

A full 24-hours pass before anyone says anything.

"What do we do now?" Frypan questions while playing with a dent in a WCKD soldiers helmet. Newt is sat further away from everyone on top of a car bonnet staring broodingly into the distance.

Thomas isn't much better.

All in all, we're a very depressed group of people. But Vince finds it in himself to answer.

"We move on. Get to the Safe Haven."

Clearly this isn't the response most of us are expecting, me included.

A silence ensues, drowning me in morbid thoughts of Aris and Sonya and everyone else that we lost to WCKD.

"No way. I'm not going with you." I declare.

My words attract the attention of everyone left.

"What?" Vince asks.

"I said I'm not joining you." I state, my confidence growing, "I made an oath with Aris and Sonya in the Field. I promised that I wouldn't leave them behind. I'm not going to break that promise."

All eyes burn holes into my head. Some look at me like I'm crazy, while others have a determined expression set in their faces.

"I'm coming." Comes a voice from my right.

I turn to see Thomas.

"I want Minho back just as badly. I'm coming."

"Hey look," Newt interrupts, "I've known Minho for, well, as long as I can remember. If there was anything we could do, trust me I would. But this, what you two are talking about; it's impossible."

"More like suicide." Jorge adds.

"Maybe. Thomas speaks up, "but I know what I'm suppose to do now. It's not just about Minho, it's about all of us. It's about everyone WCKD's ever taken. About everyone WCKD will take. They'll never stop. So I'm going to stop them."

"I have to admit. I'd like some revenge." Harriet contributes, giving a nod of encouragement towards me.

"That's a good speech kid." Vince smiles, "what's your plan?"

Thomas looks up at everyone- taking in everyone's faces. Some still look conflicted, but determined nevertheless. Some look fierce, like warriors marching into battle. And Thomas sets his jaw and readjusts his backpack.

"I'm going to kill Ava Paige." He says with a confidence that instantly brings a smile to the faces that previously held doubt.

A/N: a short chapter but the end of the original movie plot :) will hopefully update the next part very soon.