Chapter 35

The throngs of people seem to lessen everyday. It's rather depressing how obvious it is that the Flare is taking over what little humanity we have left.

But it's only a small thought; stored away. Because I currently have bigger things to worry about.

Like Newt.

He is trying so hard to look okay. But I've seen his arm. The tendrils of black veins that crawl up his arm and suffocate his shoulder tell me otherwise. I sigh, not wanting to read too far into the situation.

Said boy and Theo walks besides me as we enter the towering WCKD building. I force myself to look straight ahead and not to stop until we reach Thomas, Teresa, Lily and Gally.

Newt, Theo and I all catch sight of the familiar looking guards at the same time. One of them- that I presume is Thomas- gives the signal.

We follow him.

Teresa leads the way with Gally and Theo trailing her closely.

As I walk behind Newt, my gaze catches sight of a vein that embraces the edge of his neck. My heart thuds painfully, my chest constricting. I reach out slightly and my gloved fingers curl slightly around his.

I am uncertain in my actions- why do I want to hold his hand? I am about to pull away when his hand turns over and interlocks with mine.

I find it difficult to describe, but a warm fuzzy feeling spreads through my chest at the contact.

It fizzes out when Newt latches onto the railing- coughing and sputtering. His grip tightens. But I say nothing.

I simply embrace him securely as his head falls onto my shoulder in exhaustion. Worriedly, I glance at Gally- who is hacking into a WCKD computer so we can access the room of WCKD 'subjects' and rescue Minho.

If only it were that simple.

As soon as Gally opened the door, Thomas and Lily having just finished checking in on Brenda and Frypans progress. To my relief, their assurances seemed genuine.

"Come on." I whisper to Newt.

We walk into the room that supposedly holds Minho. Thomas wastes no time in knocking down the doors to the WCKD 'prisoners'. Children file out with scared expressions etched onto their faces.

One after another come out of the door until the room is crowded with kids. Still, Minho is nowhere to be found. Thomas comes to the same conclusion as I do and we both force out the words at the same time, "Minho's not here."