Chapter 39

My legs propel forward, but the action barely registers in my brain.

Newt is sat on a chair at the back of the berg with his head tilted back. The empty vile of what had blue substance in it lies besides his normal-looking arm.

As soon as I reach the edge of his chair, his caramel-brown eyes flutter open.

My actions seem forced and robotic. Like I'm on autopilot. But I gain the strength to sit down besides him.

His hand reflexively opens for me to take, and I do- my hand fittingly perfectly into his.

"I'm cured." He whispers- his voice low and joyful.

I smile widely, and notice with surprise the sting at the corner of my eyes. Am I... am I crying?

It seems I am, as tears flow in rivers down my cheeks. Newt hugs me tightly to him. Happiness and sadness overwhelm me all at once.

*le time skip

When Jorge flies the berg back to the ground, my first thought goes to Aris, Harriet and Sonya. They have been waiting all this time and I- I left them.

I do feel bad about leaving them. But a slight tinge of relief that no harm could come to them pushes past the guilt.

"JESS! YOU STUPID STUPID STICK!!"
and all of a sudden, I'm immersed in a group hung from all sides. I laugh slightly in amidst all the chaos.

It turns out not only Sonya, Aris and Harriet are glad to see me back. Vince pulls me in for a hug too. "I was so worried when you and Theo left." He says breathlessly.

My heart pangs slightly at the mention of my dead brother. I immediately look for Gally and Lily, who both just so happens to already be looking at me. My face wrinkles in grief.

And then we are all hugging and crying over the only other person who couldn't be here.

Even if he was the one who most deserved it.

That night, Vince gathers us all around a roaring fire to say a few words. I sit with my head on Newts shoulder at the back of the Gladers and Group B.

"This place is for us," Vince ends his speech, "but this," he points to a huge rock sticking out of the ground, "this is for them. So in your own time, make your peace for those who couldn't be here."

This is for them, I think, this is for him.

By the time Gally, Lily and I have taken turns in writing his name, we all have silent tears running down our faces and hands joined tightly.

I feel a sense of accomplishment as I look at his name displayed next to Teresa's.

A/N: this is the end... it's been amazing getting to write this fanfic. I've always loved The Maze Runner and I'm so happy my first fanfic is about it. I do apologise for any mistakes with this book- I am a young writer and obviously some spelling might be different as I'm English.

Thank you for reading!! I may publish an epilogue btw