47. Inheritance

Sirius and Barbara's home was the ideal hang out spot for the rest of the family. Somehow, everyone gravitated to their house when nobody had any Order business to attend to. After Elle was forced into hiding, Marlene frequently visited Barbara and Sirius. She loved eating the leftover dinner they always had in the refrigerator.

Barbara's work always coincided with the Order's, her missions forcing her to spend long hours in the field. Her Vampire necklace helped her a lot in the field because she was able to tell if anybody had tricks up their sleeves. Angel and Valerie joined her whenever there was a mission concerning magical folk. It had been a blessing to have her second family fight alongside her.

Today was one of the first free days Barbara had since leaving Hogwarts. Sirius's uncle Alphard had recently passed, leaving a hefty inheritance for Sirius. The funeral was that day; and they respectfully dressed in black. They both knew that some Black members would be there; but many relatives would refuse to attend because Alphard shared similar views to Andromeda and Sirius.

"Are you ready to go, Love?" Babara asked Sirius gently. She knew that Alphard was one of two relatives Sirius actually respected.

"Yeah, might as well get it over with," He replied glumly. At the funeral he was to receive the inheritance he earned from Alphard's Will.

Once they apparated there, Barbara kept her head low, fearing what Sirius would do if a relative decided to make a snarky comment. She wanted to keep the peace with the few relatives that actually showed up to the service.

It was hard for her to wrap her head around. Barbara was fortunate to discover that her real families were both compassionate. No matter what differences lay in the Potter or Royal family, they are all able to share laughs and create happy memories. Sirius dealt with his family not only hating each other, but shunning people for something they couldn't help.

People didn't ask to be born a certain way; but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be respected. They should be proud of who they are, not ashamed because the Noble Houses had more wealth and frowned upon those who are different compared to them.

Barbara shook her head and brought herself back to the present. Sirius was guiding her towards Andromeda Tonks, who was smiling as they grew closer.

"Barbara! It's so nice to see you here," the woman smiled kindly, "Thank you for showing up. I'm sure if Alphard was here he'd appreciate it."

She smiled back at Andromeda. "I'm glad you're here, Andromeda. I wanted to ask you about your little Tonks."

Andromeda yawned, making Barbara smirk. "Nymphadora is a nightmare but I wouldn't trade her for any other baby in the world. She's beginning to change her hair!"

"Wow, that was fast," Sirius commented, "she's definitely going places when she's older."

"For now, the only places she knows is our home and time-out," Andromeda replied dryly. Barbara laughed, already picturing an angry, red-headed toddler pouting in the corner of a room. Nymphadora's going to do great things when she learns to control her magic and metamorphmagus abilities.

"Where's Ted?" Sirius asked his cousin. Barbara squeezed his hand, her nails lightly digging into his skin to indicate that he was asking a stupid question.

"Oh," Andromeda scratched the back of her head, a nervous smile on her face as Barbara noticed the other relatives look her way, disgusted, "he really wanted to come. I just thought it would be better for him to take care of Nymphadora. She would cause chaos if she came."

Barbara and Sirius went to take their seats and save one for Andromeda, who went to the restroom. After Barbara looked around to see if anyone was listening, she leaned in towards Sirius's ear and muttered why Ted wasn't there. "You idiot, Ted is a Muggle. All of us are already in enough trouble with your relatives. She didn't want to have to duel the others so he could stay."

"You see," Sirius muttered back to Barbara, "this is why I keep you around." He planted a kiss on her head, not noticing her eye roll nor did he hear what she whispered under her breath.

"You mean You're the lucky one, asshole."

The ceremony made Barbara pity Alphard. The man had gone through a lot in order to sustain his ties to the Noble House of Black; but to no avail. The majority of his family despised him, just because of one simple belief. The Royal was happy that Sirius was the one to inherit his uncle's small fortune, not believing the rest of his family deserved to get "compensation" for a black sheep in the family.

Sirius was collecting the legal documents from Alphard's lawyer, which proved his ownership to his uncle's possessions. Meanwhile, Barbara talked about the Muggle world with Andromeda, trying to distract the poor woman from the disapproving eyes of her relatives. Barbara was also distracting herself from the burning desire of hexing the others into oblivion.

"He keeps talking about this Muggle device called a calculator. Ted rambles on about how this thing called electricity makes it work and able to solve almost any mathematical problem. Have you heard of it?"

Barbara immediately shook her head."No, can't say that I have. I am vaguely aware of what eclectity-"

"-electricity-"

"-electricity is," Barbara smiled, "Thanks."

"No problem. I'm actually surprised you even know about electricity. After all, your whole world involves magic."

"I need to have an idea as to what goes on in that world, being close to Death Eaters that terrorize them."

Andromeda opened her mouth to respond, but Barbara noticed her eyes contort with confusion at something behind her. The Royal turned to see Sirius walk over to them, his eyes bugging out of his head.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Love," Sirius replied while snaking his arm around her waist, "I just didn't realize Uncle Alphard left everything to me, including his apartment."

"Wow," Andromeda commented, her eyes wide too, "will you two move into it?

"Not yet, if we do," Barbara said before Sirius could respond, "my parents need our help. When the time comes, we can move in or Sirius can sell it. I just need to make sure my parents are taken care of before I leave them."

After they parted ways, Barbara couldn't get the thought of death out of her head. With Alphard's funeral and the unshaken feeling of death staring at her parents, Barbara just hoped she could make it through the War without losing anybody.

Nobody needed to die.