27. The Auror Trials

It was finally the summer leading to Barbara's fifth year at Hogwarts, which meant that she was leaving her family for a couple weeks. During those two weeks, Barbara was told by Dumbledore that she would be going through the most intense training she has ever done for anything. The young woman was anxious and excited. She knew that everything she had been learning for the past two summers and full year at Hogwarts was either going to pay off or go down the drain. Her family and Angel, however, assured her that Barbara was prepared and she was going to come out victorious.

She started laughing and hugging her family as she brought her trunk to the fireplace. "Guys, seriously? I'm not leaving you forever! It's just a couple of weeks!"

The Potter trio pretended they didn't hear her as she protested the amount of hugs she was given. James had made sure to give her an extra noogie before she escaped his headlock. "So? Who's going to bother you when you're away?"

"Hopefully no one because it's going to be hard enough as it is, Jamesie."

"Well, I'm glad that you're ready, Barbara. I apologize for running late. I had other matters to attend to and they ran past the time they should have."

Barbara smiled back at her beaming family and linked arms with Dumbledore. "I'm ready, Sir."

"Good. This should be over in no time. I would be willing to place my lemon drops on the outcome I expect, Ms. Potter."

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK THE THIRD GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM THIS INSTANT!"

Groaning, Sirius slowly sat up from his comfortable position on his bed. He scratched the back of his head, wondering if he had done anything to cause his mother to wake him up at five in the morning. Then again, he thought to himself, I don't really do anything around here without getting in trouble.

"SIRIUS GET-"

"I'M COMING MOTHER! No need to get your knickers in a twist." He muttered to himself. Sirius trudged downstairs into the kitchen, where his mother was waiting for him with a belt. If she was surprised that she upgraded her weapon of choice from her hand to a belt, he didn't show it on his face. 

He knew he couldn't escape what he was about to endure; and he decided to take it before Regulus came down the stairs, just in case their unstable mother was thinking of hitting his little brother that day.

The pain from the belt made him want to scream, cry, and throw up a at the same time. Sirius wouldn't give her the satisfaction, however, and responded to the lashes by insulting her existence and the entirety of the Black family. Eventually, he stopped taunting his mother after he became faint and extremely weak from the amount of times he had been lashed. 

Finally, around nine in the morning, Walgbura Black stopped abusing her son and began to make breakfast as if nothing had happened for the past four hours. Sirius was in his room, looking in the mirror to see the amount of damage his mother had done to him that day. I guess plan P is going to happen sooner than I thought, he told himself. 

For the rest of the day, Sirius had been packing all of his belongings into his trunk. He owled James earlier in the day, giving him some warning instead of showing up on the spot. He was lucky that Regulus was downstairs the whole day and didn't notice his owl was gone; and Sirius was also thankful that James had responded so quickly and sent Sirius a couple spells to help the trunk become lightweight.

It was late at night when Sirius snuck out of the house to go to the Potters' house. He felt his adrenaline fire up as Grimmauld Place shrank in the distance. After all, he would only be disowned and he would be living with his best friend and his crush, what could be better?

He thought this was the best risk he had ever taken in his life.

James Potter was sitting in the dining room eating dinner with his family when there was a knock on the door. Mr. Potter, slightly paranoid because of the wandering Death Eaters, walked over to the grand door, making sure his wand was out. "Who is it? I'm armed!"

There was a pause, and then a response was made.

"Sirius Orion Black the Third! I was disowned a couple hours ago! Best friend of James Potter and a definite love interest of Barbara Potter! I'm a stunning player for the ladies and I have awesome hair."

James and the Potters chuckled with Sirius's description of himself, but stopped when Fleamont opened the door. There was Sirius with prominent blood stains on his robes. Mrs. Potter was the first one to react. She pulled Sirius, who was protesting, to the couch and made him sit so she could examine the open wounds.

"Honestly, Mrs. Potter, I'm fine! It's just there!" Euphemia Potter gave Sirius a look which instantly quieted him. She and her husband had grown very attached to Sirius over the years when he managed to escape to their home. He was a second son to them and knew how much he meant to James and Barbara, even if she wouldn't admit it.

After a couple hours of making sure Sirius was healed to the best of everyone's ability, the Potters sat Sirius in the dining room and requested a special meal for him. Dippy and Trixie, however, were already making a nice dinner for Sirius. They loved Sirius just as much as the Potters, if not more.

Sirius had a light conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Potter while James set up the guest bedroom for Sirius with Dippy. When he returned, he heard Sirius ask the one question James had been asking for the past couple of weeks. "Where's Barbara?"

It was obvious James's parents didn't know how to respond to Sirius's question. James looked at his best mate, and sighed. He had to tell Sirius eventually, especially because this new living arrangement seemed to be permanent. "Come on, Padfoot," James directed everyone's attention to him, "I'll tell you in your new room."

Once they were settled after Sirius thanked the Potters for their kindness, James spilled the beans on his sister. He was obviously terrified for his sister, knowing the training she was going through would be extremely hard. However, Sirius made sure James knew that her punches were a lot harder on the people she didn't like; so she was capable of defending herself.

James told Sirius that she would be coming back in a few days, which would give him time to think of how to win her over. When they said goodnight to each other, James left for his room and crawled under the covers. Merlin, James thought, I hope those two get married someday.

It had been the most testing time of Barbara's life. She had a wonderful time, no matter how much she complained about it in private to Angel, who was one of the first opponents Barbara had gone up against. She was happy with how everything paid off, knowing she not only made herself proud, but her family as well.

She missed her family dearly and couldn't wait to tell them the happy news. Barbara knew they would be happy to hear how she had done in the battles so far; but there was one battle left she had to conquer in order to become a First-Class Auror. 

Originally, Barbara was only to become a Second Class Auror; but she refused to be put in second place with the amount of work she had done leading up to that point. She told Mad-Eye she had worked too hard and challenged him and Professor Dumbledore. If she won, she would become a First Class Auror; and if she lost, she would stay Second Class.

She only hoped she could win the battle she picked. Barbara smiled at the risk she was taking, knowing it was worth taking risks in life.