Alone on Cloud 9 (5)

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

**************************************************

"Mr. Shakespeare once wrote, ‘Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.’ In other words, a wish is a good place to start but then you have to get off your butt and make it happen. You have to pick up a quill and write your own damn story."

-Saving Juliet

Chapter 5                        Grade 10

December 21

You know that feeling you get when you like someone? When your hands are shaking and sweaty, and you're constantly fidgeting and can't seem to sit still?

Where you're so nervous you think you're going to hurl any minute but so excited at the same time you feel like at any second you could just float up past the clouds?

Or when you're playing a sport, and everything disappears until its just you and the ball, and you know without a doubt that you're making that shot, scoring that goal, winning that game…

That's how I was feeling all day, only it wasn't over a crush, or the game winning point; today was the big day.

The drama show.

The whole day had gone by in a blur; I'd gotten to skip both my afternoon classes and hadn't left the drama room since. Even after weeks of preparation, everything came down to the last few hours before a show. Suddenly costumes needed a final hemming, props had gone missing, someone was being a diva, and hair was coming undone, but I loved every second of it.

School went on around us, people were falling asleep in classes, scribbling out notes, or staring at the clock waiting for the bell to ring. Meanwhile we rushed around putting the finishing touches together, lost in our own little world.

Mr. Fitz was pacing back and forth in front of the stage, nearly pulling his hair out because our Tiny Tim had lost his cloak. It was a fair concern since Eric played the part on his knees to give the appearance of looking like a child while the cloak covered his legs from behind.

I pricked myself with the needle I was using and glared at Cynthia to keep still, and after what felt like just five minutes the bell rang signalling the end of the day and the school emptied out while we worked on.

In the corners of the room people ran their lines for the last time, on stage, furniture was being put in place while set pieces that would be rolled on later were set in the backstage wings.

It was always the chaos before a show that got my heart racing, my blood pumping, it was the moments that belonged only to the cast, that no audience member had any idea about.

Soon we were practicing transitions between the scenes, complete with lighting, music and sound effects, and before I knew it, everything had come together.

Costumes were hung offstage, make up was applied, hair was done, and props were actually in the right place.

"Come on Arya, the whole cast is grabbing coffee before the show."

"Be right there Charlie, I just need to grab my jacket."

He nodded and I made my way down the hall to my locker. The school was completely deserted, and for some reason there was something I loved about being here after hours. It was like a whole different place without the students.