Alone on Cloud 9 (9)

I added a cast to the story, if you want to check it out.

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

**************************************************

Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place,

Suddenly it moves with such a perfect grace,

Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,

It all revolves around you.

-- Moulin Rouge

Chapter 9                  Grade 10

March 1

Really I should have known something was coming, it was far too quiet in the house.

My mother sat at the table with a mug of coffee in her hands while my father leaned against the back counter looking at the paper. By the frequent glances over the top of the page it was obvious he wasn't reading it.

I moved around cautiously, wondering when the dam would break, because this tentative silence couldn't possibly last.

Where was the shouting? The complaints?

It didn't take much to get them started.

I wondered what could possibly have prompted this ceasefire, and then I realized their eyes kept shooting up to me.

Shit.

I hurried my movements, deciding it was best to get out of there fast, but of course that wasn’t happening.

"Arya can we speak to you for a moment?"

As if I had a choice.

Hesitantly I sat down across from her, only sitting at the very edge of the chair in case I needed to make a quick exit.

I didn’t know what I could have done to prompt this; my grades were fine, I came right home after school, called if I didn’t, I—

"We were just wondering when you planned to introduce us to your new boyfriend"

My mouth dropped open.

Nothing could have possibly been more shocking to hear.

She didn't even look mad, only mildly curious.

By this point my dad had abandoned his paper entirely, looking uncomfortable but just as curious.

Instantly I felt embarrassed.

How did they even know about Michael?

“Mom he's not my boyfriend" I mumbled.

"Well you certainly spend a lot of time with him, what would you call it then?"

I shifted around in my seat, only the 'birds and bees' talk could be more awkward than this.

And I sooo didn't want to tell them, but at the same time I felt compelled to.

"We're just hanging out, I mean… it’s… um… we’re friends, it’s just not quite there yet"

They shared a look between them, and even though I couldn't see it I had a pretty good idea what it looked like.