Chapter 7 - Sworn In

1981

     There comes a point in every young girl's life where she has to make that one big decision.  A certain one that will change her life forever.  Due to biology and raging hormones, most of the decisions lean towards one end without even thinking it over while others choose to hold on to their purity.  Nya was sitting down with an older friend for advice because she was in no position to make rational decisions.  She didn't know where else to turn as it was a very sensitive matter for her.  Her mother wouldn't approve, Ms. Katherine came to mind but she was still not herself as of lately, Michael was--just the wrong person to ask and Nya's aunt wasn't someone she could trust with such secrets.  So Nya went to the one woman she knew would not only keep her mouth shut but give it to her straight.

     "Girl, would you just spit it out?"  Diana Ross slid her fingers through her wild curls as she waited impatiently for Nya to say whatever it was that had her fingers trembling.

     Nya sighed with anxiety running through her veins.  "I think I'm in love, like for real this time."

     "With who?" Diana was waiting to hear "Michael."

      "This guy named Mario."

     Diana couldn't help but to feel relieved.  She had strange, protective feelings for Michael.  She wasn't ready to hear he was in love with someone else other than her.  Because she was very aware that the young boy was crazy about her.

     "I met him at a club.  He's a singer and I've been working with him to get a record deal with Epic."

      "Oh, you finally found someone.  Is he any good?"

     "Oh, he's amazing, Diane.  Not only as a singer but also as a person.  He's such an amazing guy."  Nya's eyes softened as her breathing slowed down.  "I really love him."

     Diana smirked and took hold of Nya's hand from across the table.  She had never seen her like this.  "Does he know any of this?"

     "He knows.  And he's confessed that he's in love with me too."

     Diana perked up with excitement and clapped her two palms together.  "Well then why are you so afraid to tell your mother this?  You're 18 years old now.  What more can she expect?"

     Nya blew out a huff as she became stiff again.  "He's 29."

     Diana waved it off with a kiss of her teeth.  "Oh, honey that's nothing.  You know Berry is just about 15 years older than me," she bragged, speaking of her ex Berry Gordy, founder of Motown.

     "Oh right.  I didn't realize that though.  But I still don't think my mother would approve."

     Diana began to wonder herself if Nancy would. Probably not, she thought.  "You're right.  She won't."  She raised her glass of wine to her lips.  "So don't tell her then."

     Nya shrugged.  "Well there's something more important I want to talk about."

     Diana waited to hear it as her wine swiveled in her mouth, arousing her taste buds.

     "I um, I kind of told him I wasn't a virgin.  And now he wants us to have sex."

     Diana nearly choked on her drink at the 'virgin' part.  "You what?"

     "I know.  It's just that he's older and I knew he would want someone experienced."

     Diana laughed.  "Oh, honey, that's silly. You know, there are men out there who appreciate a pure woman.  It's called celibacy," she said in her usual airy, soft tone.