Chapter 17 - Growing Apart

At first, I didn't mind as much.  There were a lot of people saying how much it seemed like Michael was Michella's father.  But as time went on, the observation began to make me tick.  I appreciated everything Michael was doing for Michella.  But he wasn't her father.  Mario was.  Why couldn't people look at Michael like a good uncle?  Or a good godfather like he truly was.  Michael wasn't trying to replace Mario.  Michael was just being Michael.  He's always loved kids, especially his nieces and nephews.  But I was his best friend and I lived across the street.  Therefore, his access to us were effortless.  And he connected with Michella from the start.  They had a bond.  And I couldn't break it, wouldn't even try.  But I couldn't speak for Mario and I knew as soon as he could, he would try and take over every aspect of our little girl's life.

     July 4th, 1983

    I didn't want to do anything to extravagant for her first birthday.  She was only one.  So I had a party in the backyard.  Some face painting, bouncy houses, and clowns-of course the pool was open.  But nothing big.  Michella was having a good time running around when she wasn't being picked up and smooched all over. 

    An hour into the party, I began looking around for Mario.  He told me he would be a little late but not by much. 

     The ringing of the house phone pulled me back inside.  "Hello?"

     "Hey.  I'm leaving the studio now.  I'll be there in a bit."

     "You're late because you were at the studio?"

     "Nya, please.  I said I'll be there."

     I didn't give him too much smack about it.  Ever since he was released from jail he had been there for us.  Michella was really getting to know him and it put so much joy in my heart.  Enough to mend the broken pieces.  But I couldn't help to realize I was the only one smiling about it.

     I was ready to walk back outside but then the phone rang again.  "Hello?"

     "Nya?"

     "Yeah? Who's this?"

     "Um, it's Michael.  You don't recognize my voice anymore?"

     I hadn't heard from Michael in a week or so.  He was a busy soul.  A lot of changes were happening with him and I knew he was under a lot of stress.  The biggest of his problems was the fact that he was the biggest artist in the world with two records sitting on top of the Billboard charts with no manager.  He had recently fired Joseph and the two other men who worked with him.  "I haven't heard from you in a while."

    "I wanted to see Michella but I figured you were still having the party?  When is it over?"

     "You can come."

     "No thanks." 

     I wasn't sure if it was a religious thing or a people thing.  Michael was becoming extremely reclusive.  "It's over at 5.  You can come over around 6 so we can clean up first."

     "I'll watch her while you clean.  She can come over here.  Kattie wants to see her."

     "I'm sure Mario will still be here."

     "And?" 

     Sometimes I felt like the two of them were fighting over her.  I hated it.  She was Mario's daughter but Michael was there for her from the start.  So I never knew what to do.  "I guess he can help clean."