Chapter 7

{{ A/N. I apologize for the mega late anticipated chapter. But here it is, my fellow readers, enjoy!! :DDD <3

I spread out old homework and newspapers around a corner of my room the next morning so Clover will have a place to do her business. I walk over to where she lays, who used my shirt as a bed. "Morning, Clover."

Clover opens her mouth in a little yawn, her eyes still not open. I rub my hands gently on her back and tummy, keeping her warm. All night I kept myself a safe, but comforting distance so I wouldn't roll over her in my sleep. There were times she would whine, and I kept shushing her so Dad wouldn't burst in my room and hurt her. I give her some more milk that I warmed up, gently cradling her head. She drinks greedily, and whimpers for more.

The doorbell rings, echoing loud in my ears and down the halls.

I quickly scoop Clover in my arms and make my way downstairs. I look up from the living room. Neither parent is up. Mom may be passed out, Dad is probably sleeping off his hangover. Good.

When I go to the door, I hear a few more knocks. My heart accelerates above its normal rhythm. Is it the police? Someone asking about the newborn puppy? Is it Carlson? Mrs. Maria? I try and control my breathing as I ask, "Who's there?"

"Stephanie Johnson, reporting for duty. Haha, duty. My brother is here, too."

I fling the door open to see them both standing there, sunlight splashing in the living room. Stephanie's red hair shines in the sunlight, and her green eyes are even brighter than the last time I saw them. She holds some rainbow-colored papers in her hands. Spencer has a hand on her shoulder, looking just as kind as ever. My stomach becomes unsettled with the eggs I made for breakfast.

"Hello Autumn," Spencer greets, "How is your morning?"

"All right. I've been watching this little one. " I move the shirt so Clover can be shown. She moves back with a small whimper. "Her mother passed away last night, or two days ago-I wasn't sure. I found her in the bush by my house all alone, and I decided to take her in."

"Aw, a puppy!" Stephanie gushes. "What's her name? Can I hold her? Can I puppy sit?"

I blink twice before answering her questions. "Her name is Clover. I guess, and maybe."

But Spencer stops her before she can go in my house. "Has she been vaccinated?"

I shake my head. "I haven't gone to the vet yet."

"How old is she?"

"Maybe two weeks, at the most." I say, "I don't know if I can take her to the vet." I look down at the fliers in Stephanie's hands. "What are those?"

She takes out a paper from the stack and puts it in front of my face. "My birthday is coming up soon!" I take the paper from her hands, and read it. "I want to know if you can come."

I look over my shoulder, and walk outside, shutting the door behind me. "Do I have to bring anyone?"