Chapter 4

The doorbell rings at 7:00pm.

“Who the fuck could be here at this hour?” Dad curses as he pulls away from his chair, going to the front door. Mom and I remain seated at the table, silently picking at our roast chicken that we got from Albertson's after-school. I went immediately to bed after Mom brought us home, plugged my earbuds into my ears, and slept for hours. As I did, I kept thinking about why Spencer had changed in behavior. Going from kind and nice, to someone so vicious and protective.

It had only been a day and a half since he met me. Why does he care so much for me? Did a friend of his suffer like me? Had a bad boyfriend?

The door is flung open, and I absently think of who could be at the door. Mrs. Maria? Girl Scouts? Friends from Church asking where we are? Or worse, the police?

“What do you want, short stuff?” Dad announces loudly.

“I'm here to see Autumn. Is she here?”

My blood stops moving. Spencer.

“Why do you want to know? Did the bitch give you herpes?”

“N-No, sir. I just want—”

The door slams in front of him, and Dad shouts, “You little bitch. Who do you think you are, whoring around this goddamn neighborhood?”

“I—I wasn't. Really.” I say honestly, running over to his side.

Dad scowls, opens the door, and before Spencer could greet me, Dad shoves me hard enough that I fly off the front porch and land on my arm. Pain races like fire across the limb, and when I lift myself off the ground, the door is slammed shut, echoing in the neighborhood.

Spencer is looking at me with a surprised look at the front porch. “Are you all right?”

“Mhmm,” I mutter, getting up and wiping off the dust on my jeans. “I just lost my balance.” I hope Spencer would take my lie, that he didn't see Dad push me, and after a raised brow, he nods. I stare at the plastic bag that's in his left hand, and I point. “Is that what I think it is?”

“Yes, just make sure you put it near a outlet and wait for my signal. Once I do, your house will go booom.” Spencer grins, then laughs. When I give a stare of confusion, he says, “It's a joke, ever heard of it?”

I shake my head.

Spencer frowns, and says, “You really aren't much of a talker, are you?”

I shake my head again.

“Come on,” he says, walking over to me, and very gently,

the

back

of

his