CHAPTER 23

OUTER BANKS
episode 9: THE BELL TOWER
part 1

as they were running away from the airstrip, ren couldn't help but feel bad for the fact that they were leaving john b and sarah, but was also relieved that ward didn't crash into john b.

kiara led them to this place with a lot of stuff there, like furniture, old food and a lot of other junk.

"jj maybe we shouldn't have left john b, i - what if he gets hurt, or sarah?! what about sarah jj i don't know what to do-" ren stuttered speaking because she was nervous for her friends.

jj cut her off by hugging her, "it's okay ren, he and sarah will be fine, i promise," he kissed the top of her head before letting her go.

she walked over by kie and held her hand.

they heard plane noises which made them walk out from underneath the shelter and look up at the sky, ren and kiara still holding hands.

"there goes the gold," it was ward's plane.

"shit!" ren yelled letting go of kiara's hand and kicking the lamp shade next to her, breaking it.

jj also kicked something next to him, but nothing was compared to pope and his big lash out. he was throwing things, yelling and breaking stuff. but who could blame him? he walked out on his interview for them and they didn't even win.

"pope!" everybody yelled

"pope!" kiara yelled one more time before pope sat down, frustrated.

"jesus christ, pope," ren sat down next to him, patting him on the shoulder,

"damn dude," jj walked over to them, "i was wondering when this was gonna happen," jj pulled out some weed, "here you go chief,"

"a little weed never hurt no one," ren smiled at him, taking jj's juul out of his pocket and hitting it.

"jj." kiara warned,

"relax kie," jj replied,

"you know he doesn't smoke," kiara reminded him but pope took it anyway, which shocked ren and made the juul fall out of her mouth, but she quickly put it back in.

"well, maybe not until today," jj sighed sitting down on the other side of pope,

"pope. yeah, what is that gonna help?" kiara asked

"i lost my scholarship. walked out in the middle of the interview, every- it's gone. it's not gonna happen," pope was crying a little which made ren feel even worse for the boy,

"you did that for us?" kiara asked sadly,

"no, not for us." he got up and to kiara's face, "for nothing,"

"i'm here for you pope," ren stood up next to him,

"welcome to our world, okay?" jj asked referring to him and ren.

"ren. jj-" kiara started but jj cut her off,

"what kie?! he's right," he said