Chapter 25

‘You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today’ – Abraham Lincoln.

Once my brother was inside, I closed the curtains of the living room to make me sure no one saw us from the outside. I told John to lay down on the couch while I took some towels and warm water to clean the wounds in his left cheek and arms. After a few seconds in silence I decided to speak:

“How are you feeling? The wounds aren’t deep so you won’t need to go to the hospital hopefully.” – I said in a low tone.

“I’ve been better, thank you for taking care of me.”

“I’m assuming Jade doesn’t know anything about this…” he shook his head “what are you going to say to her? Because it isn’t easy to hide that wound in your cheek…”

“I still don’t know…but I don’t want her to be in this shit. Specially not now when she’s about to give birth…fuck” he covered his face with both hands, desperate.

“We will manage that, don’t worry. What did they want? How did they find you? Why now after four years?”

“I was about to close the studio when a supposed client came and told me that he wanted to get a tattoo and then suddenly he asked me if I knew Jake Black. It wasn’t a coincidence but I decided to lie and then after leaving the studio, in an alley, they caught me and this Jake Black told me before hitting me that I would remember him all my life. That’s when they started beating me.”

“And of course you don’t want me to call the police. John we ca-“

“No. I will manage it.” He cut me. “I don’t know exactly what they want but whatever it is, they will let me know for sure. Don’t tell this to anyone, not even Ed nor dad and mum.

“Okay, stay here the night. I will call Jade tomorrow morning and tell her that you came here to have dinner, drank so much that you couldn’t go back home driving. If she asks why we didn’t tell her anything to pick you up, we will say that it was too late.”

“Does alcohol have to be involved in this?” my brother asked raising one of his eyebrows.

“Do you have any other ideas?”-he didn’t say or ask any other question. I gave him sheets and a pillow to sleep on the couch and although I tried to sleep I couldn’t.

That’s why we can’t run from our problems, they are always back, no matter how long. I was pretty scared, being honest. That people didn’t seem like reasonable, they were fucking junkies, only cared about drugs.

My step-brother had been into drugs for about 2 years, with very dangerous and cocaine addict people. After he dropped out university, he entered in that world, he had promised me that he tried cocaine just once, he was more like a dealer, but a big one. But that changed when he met the lovely Jade and they both decided to move on the United States: mainly because Jade was offered a job as a photographer there and my brother because he wanted to run, escape from his problems. That’s when my brother started to express his anger in draws and then after taking part in many courses, he became a tattoo artist and it seemed he was good at it.

“Hey. I hope you are better.”  I asked John while I started cooking the breakfast.

“Have you already called Jade? I’ve got 10 missed calls and 3 text messages.”

“Yes, she is ok, mad as hell, but is ok.”

“Pray for me when I get home”

We had breakfast together and then he went home. I told him to call me when he got to his place, to make me sure he was alright. When I went that afternoon to Ed’s home, something wasn’t alright, I felt like someone was observing me or maybe I was getting too paranoid. That day was very special to us, because finally we find a proper place to live. We could start living there after New Year’s once we’ve signed the contract.

“Don’t you think we should celebrate this by going to some posh restaurant?” Ed asked me with a grin on his face.

“Oh God. This is going to be funny.” Then he took my hand and we walked to a main avenue to get a cab.

______________________

__________________

Check out my other work: INVADED BY YOU (Ed Sheeran) hope you like it. Please COMMENT AND VOTE and also ENJOY!! Thanks for your support!! 

Hiii guys!! Thank you so much for the 5.4K reads!!! It means a lot. Please if you read this chapter DO NOT FORGET TO COMMENT AND VOTE. Also I would love to read your SUGGESTIONS, what DO YOU THINK about the characters, story and that stuff.

ENJOY!!!

Marie