Little Sharpshooter Chap 26

After two days of uncomfortable silence, the town of Monticello loomed on the horizon.

“I think I’d rather watch you two hand hold and make eyes at each other than put up with this. I can’t get a whiskey fast enough.” Bronson wiped the sweat from his brow.

“It’s her fault,” Trevor said.

“It was John’s fault and yours for not even botherin’ to ask me what happened. What you didn’t see was John steppin’ on my foot and takin’ hold of my hand to steal a kiss just as you walked in. If I didn’t know better, I’m pretty sure upsetting you was his plan.” She kicked Al’s sides and headed into town alone. They had been through the routine plenty, she didn’t need them.

They didn’t come back together until they went to dinner. Bronson glared at them when the tension didn’t let up. When he stood up, he thrust his chair back, scraping the chair legs across the floor. The sound echoed off the walls and everyone looked at them. Bronson threw a few bills on the table.

“Time for that whiskey. I might even have a whole bottle in one drink.” Bronson shook his head as he left.

Randy pushed her food around her plate. When she did catch Trevor looking at her, he glanced away and chewed on his lip.

“I don’t understand why you’re still so upset.” She decided to leave before she embarrassed herself with tears falling down her face in front of everyone. Randy went to check on Al before she went back to the boarding house. Once she reached her room, Trevor was leaving his.

Randy pressed her fingers under her eyes hoping they didn’t look very puffy. She had to clear her throat before she could speak. “I hope you …” She didn’t dare say another word. It was going to sound bossy.

“Don’t worry,” Trevor said softening his face when he looked at her. “I’m goin’ to the saloon but it’s not to drink. I’m keepin’ an eye on Bronson so he doesn’t get carried away. I stopped a fight last time. I don’t wanna see him stirrin’ up trouble.” He rubbed the top of his head, messing up his hair. It always made Randy smile. She couldn’t help it.

“What?”

“I don’t know. Somethin’ about how you mess up your hair like that makes me like you more.” Randy’s face burned as she opened the door.

He smiled at the floor on his way down the stairs.

Randy crossed the room and rested her head on the window frame to watch him head for the saloon. Randy backed away when he glanced up at the window. Trevor turned his attention to a girl. After they spoke to each other for a few minutes he glanced up at the window one more time before they proceeded to walk off together.

Randy’s chest tightened. But she wouldn’t let herself get upset about it the way he did. She flung herself back on the bed and closed her eyes. Music played from the saloon and she could barely make out the melody. It wasn’t a waltz or any dance she had learned from Trevor. But she imagined he was there dancing with her, leading her around the room. Randy closed her hand over his imaginary one. She could almost feel him touch her back lightly with his face near hers. His breath warmed her cheek when they were close like that.

At breakfast the next morning Randy watched Trevor closely. Trevor was shifty and never looked directly at Randy.

“I can’t believe you two. You’re making me lose my appetite and drivin’ me to drink. No wonder I don’t have a woman. Too much trouble.” Bronson left the table in a huff throwing money at them before he left.

“I saw you with that girl last night. Is that why you won’t look at me this mornin’?”

“It was nothin’. She said she didn’t feel safe and asked me to walk her home.”