Little Sharpshooter Chap 31

Annie Oakley arrived in the morning to much fanfare. Bronson pushed Randy to the front of the train station where a crowd had gathered. The mayor made a huge production of introducing the famed sharpshooter to everyone. Bronson and his new best friend in town, Ely Brown that had organized the competition, pulled Randy onto the platform.

"This is Annie Oakley's challenger. Sixteen-year-old Miranda Carter. Daughter of the famed Texas Ranger, James Carter. Raised with a pistol on her hip from the time she could walk," Ely shouted with his booming voice to the crowd when the mayor gave him an opportunity to introduce her.

She wrinkled her nose at the thought of toddling with a gun holster on her hip.

"That is not the most attractive face." Bronson whispered in her ear.

"But I'm seventeen." She glared at him.

"I didn't know you was gonna change ages on the way here," he said with his teeth pressed together and broad smile across his face while his hands rested on her shoulders. He gave her a push in Annie's direction.

Randy tried not to limp as she reached for Annie's outstretched hand. Randy had to look down some at the small framed woman with long dark hair. She didn't give off the look that she could handle a gun. That must be the appeal. But Annie smiled warmly at Randy and she couldn't help but return the warm greeting. The crowd cheered. Randy decided she could easily be friends with her opponent. She wondered if anyone would let her.

"The competition will start in two days with an afternoon show followed by an evening show to give the best lady an opportunity to win."

The crowd erupted again with cheers and applause as the mayor stood between the two of them and raised their arms in the air.

"This has brought quite the crowd to Virginia City this weekend. I think we need to get the reporters to sit with you both for an early morning edition. Definitely front page news here," the mayor said.

"I believe my wife needs some time to settle in at the hotel first before she is swept into publicity. I assure you once she has time to rest from the long train ride, she will be prepared to make herself available to reporters."

Annie turned to Randy while her husband continued to speak with the mayor about his publicity plans. "I would love to visit with you too before we have to meet in competition."

"Do you think they'll allow it?" Randy kept an eye on Bronson as he hovered near Ely, and the mayor as they discussed plans with Annie's husband.

"It doesn't matter. We're the main attraction. I would just refuse to put on a show if I can't get to know the young lady I get to perform with." Annie smiled with dancing eyes. "I'm pretty sure they put us up at the same hotel as you so I will find you later and we can plan to meet after those two are satisfied we've filled our promotional duties." Annie rested her hand gently on Randy's arm before her husband collected her to return to the hotel.

What took place next was a whirlwind of questions from several reporters asking her about how she came to be so skilled and about her pa. She evaded every question about the location of her pa and let them know it was with his blessing she was there. It flustered her as they persisted until Bronson stepped in.

"The location of her pa is not to be shared when he is called into service. Miranda has been trusted into my care. I'm her manager. We've built her a career on bein' the best little sharpshooter in the west." With his protective hands on her shoulders, he pulled her back into his chest. "I don't want her tired out so we should wrap this up."

The reporters avoided questions about her pa after that. They wanted to know what to expect during competition. Randy couldn't tell them much about what they were about to witness. She just didn't know.