Little Sharpshooter Chap 5

Dread tightened in Trevor’s chest the closer he got to the house. He had been wandering off on his own in hopes of stealing a horse for days since Nana took his money and wouldn’t let him buy a decent horse of his own. Nana was always a hard sell and knew when he was up to no good. But maybe he would come off all good Samaritan like by bringing home the injured girl and her horse. Or Nana would find reason to worry: she’d have to pay a doctor or how would they explain the death of the mystery girl if she died in their care? He was about to get an earful that wasn’t going to stop. Trevor sighed, ready to deal with the consequences.

“Nana!” Trevor called from the bottom of the stairs of the front porch. “Nana! I need your help.”

Trevor’s Nana stepped out the door drying her hands off on her apron. At the sight of the girl draped over the horse, she clutched her chest and held the railing.

“What have you gone and done, son? In all your seventeen years you have never brought home anything like this.” She was down the steps in no time, turning the face of the girl to the side to look at her. The horse whinnied, sidestepping away.

“She’s not dead. But she’s hotter than a coal.” Nana went up the steps. “Take her off a there and bring her in. Did you find her like that?”

“I found her fevered, yes.” Trevor slid her off and carried her in draped across his arms. She was pretty, he had to admit. But her lip was swollen from where he punched her before he knew she was a girl. He was glad she was unconscious so she didn’t see him flush.

Nana billowed a sheet to cover the bed in the spare bedroom. It used to be his parent’s room, but it had been years since they died. He placed her on the bed.

“Oh my, her mouth is bleeding, and what is this?” Nana pulled up the girl’s pant leg. “Oh! That is dreadful.” Nana searched the room and pulled out a dark heavy blanket from under the bed to place under her leg.

“Tell me, son. Why is her mouth bleeding like that and why is your face turning colors?” She grabbed hold of his chin and pulled his face lower, closer to hers.

“Nana! It hurts there too.” He pulled her hand off his face.

Nana folded her arms across her chest and squinted at him.

“She was ambushed and I helped her.” Trevor told part of the truth.

“She’s armed. Who would be dumb enough to do that? Ambushed by who?” She leaned a little closer.

“Some horse thief. But that horse of hers won’t let anyone steal it so it was a sorry attempt.”

“Where’s the horse thief now?” She waited.

He shook his head.

“I know ya gotta thing for nice lookin’ horses. Where’s the horse thief now?” Nana asked. She would stand there and wait for an answer all night.

He hung his head.

Nana slapped him upside his head.

“Oww. She already did a number on me.”

“Serves you right. I thought I did a much better job of raisin’ you than that. I have never been so disappointed in all my life.” Nana walked out of room continuing to list all the dumb things he ever did.

He sank down in the chair beside the bed. Out the window, the horse paced frantically all around the house and whinnied like he never heard a horse cry out before. Trevor yanked hard to open the window all the way.

“Hey!” he yelled. The horse’s ears pricked up and it trotted over to the window.

The horse didn’t stop outside the window. He stuck his head clear in and nickered to the girl in the bed.