Little Sharpshooter Chap 34

Randy didn’t care that she lost. She didn’t even care that much about being co-champion, but she probably would have been if not for Clyde and Ernie. Seeing them in the front row with their damaged hands completely unnerved her. She sighed as she headed back to the hotel. She wouldn’t earn much for losing. There was a certain percentage they were entitled to and it didn’t compare to a tie or winning. That was what Bronson had been worried about. So far the outlaws hadn’t done a thing to bring any attention to themselves. There were too many people around. So Bronson wouldn’t make anything there either. The money was all he cared about anyway.

She took care of Al, brushing his coat in the stable where there were only horses to keep them company. Everyone was no doubt still celebrating Annie Oakley’s win. There were a few people that said she shot well on her way back. But she was so shaken, she could only nod politely. Al deserved something for his outstanding performance, so she took her saddle back to the hotel and returned with several apple slices.

When she stepped out of the stable, she was shoved against the wall.

“Ya threw it, didn’t ya? There was no reason ya shoulda missed that shot. You overheard me tell Ely you were my little goldmine and you missed on purpose.” Bronson’s face was redder than a tomato as he glared at her, shoving her back into the wall once more.

“No. I didn’t. I really didn’t.” She pushed his hand off her chest. “You actually said that? I lost my nerve. I really tried my best to tie and still missed.”

“I don’t believe it. You’ve never lost your nerve and ya never miss when it’s that important. What got into you? I could tell ya weren’t determined there in the end. Ya threw it. I know ya did,” he raged at her.

“I haven’t always made my shots. I missed a shot yesterday when I was practicin’ with Annie. I lost my nerve then too. They talked me into tryin’ anyway and I got through it but it didn’t work today. Clyde and Ernie were in the front just watchin’ me. Every time I see them, they remind me how I missed. How I lost the game that day. I have been paying for it ever since. There here wantin’ me to pay up for my mistake.”

“You never said you missed.”

“Because it didn’t hit me until yesterday when I couldn’t shoot the cigarette in Frank’s mouth. I was aimin’ for their pistols that day and I shot their hands. Two mistakes. Failin’ that day cost me my pa and gave me my bum leg. They won’t let me rest until they make sure I pay up. Today no one died and no one was hurt because I lost. I can live with that. It’s not a big deal.” Randy kicked at the dirt.

Bronson pressed his mouth together and rested his hands on his hips. He was still fuming.

Trevor ran up to them without saying a word and started to push Bronson and pull Randy into the stables. Shots were fired. Randy ducked and tried to see who was shooting. Bronson turned and fired back while he shoved the two of them to safety.

Randy unceremoniously sprawled out on the ground from Bronson’s shove. She scrambled over to the wall of the stable.

“Why didn’t ya just tell me? I can shoot.” She pulled out her pistol but couldn’t do anything inside the stables.

“We’re totally outnumbered. They’re comin’ down both sides of the street. They’re all over. I don’t know where all the law is. I guess protectin’ Annie and not you.”

More shots were exchanged. Bronson yelled in pain as he fell back in the doorway.

“Bronson!” Randy was ready to fire too many men circled around them with their guns drawn.

Bronson clutched his shoulder and rocked in pain on the ground. Deep red spread on his shoulder and chest.

“No!” Randy screamed as she pointed the gun at the nearest man with tears streaming down her cheeks.