Chapter 4, Part 2 (Lukas's POV)

We decided (after what seemed like several centuries since Helena had left) that Brett and I would take Kieran to the nightclub, so later that night, we all went to the Déjà Vu. The nightclub was a bustling place, full of life, and packed with people. I saw tons of guys and girls:  blondes, brunettes, redheads, and even people with crazy colored hair, such as shades of blue, pink, orange, and green. I saw Kieran looking around excitedly at the girls, and up until recently, I would have been also. Now, though, I had feelings that I had never felt before. I had never been in an actual relationship with someone, and had never let myself fall in love. For some reason, though, no matter how hard I tried, I had feelings for Ciera, even though I knew that she only regarded me as a friend. I had tried so hard not to love her, but instead, I had fallen hopelessly in love.

Finally, I noticed Kieran staring at one girl standing in the corner of the club. She had wavy dark brown hair and sparkling midnight blue eyes. Her eyes were shimmering, but it wasn’t from excitement, I realized. It was because she was crying. Kieran was staring at the girl the way a child would stare at an adorable puppy; his gaze was full of longing. I nudged him, “Dude, go and talk to that girl. She looks like she needs it.”

Kieran looked like he wanted to go over, and my words only gave him the confidence he needed. He went over to her and whispered something in her ear. She nodded, and he put his arms around her, rocking her gently side to side. I looked at them, jealous. They looked so peaceful, so natural. Kieran had basically gotten himself a girlfriend after two minutes of talking, while I was sure that Ciera would never fall in love with me. I could only dream.

Kieran and his girl finally decided to grace Brett and me with their presence. For the few minutes that they had been talking, Brett and I had just stood awkwardly in silence, as we both already had our hearts taken. His was clear, as he and Helena were solid. For me, on the other hand, my love life was just a hopeless dream. Kieran introduced all of us. “Brett, Lukas, this is Adriane,” he said. “Adriane, these are my new friends, Brett and Lukas.”

Adriane giggled. “Kieran, any friends of yours are friends of mine,” she said, clutching Kieran’s hand and gazing into his eyes. Her eyes were beautiful, I had to admit, but they were nothing compared to Ciera’s emerald ones. I found myself longing to run my hands through Ciera’s hair, to kiss her, to keep her safe, to never let her go, to call her mine- I shook my head, shoving my thoughts away, to the back of my mind. I shouldn’t have these feelings for her. I knew that she would never love me back, and would just break my heart. No, it was better just to not love in the first place, it had worked over the past years. I had never felt heartbroken because I had never let myself love anyone. But even though I knew that Ciera would never love me, I couldn’t get the vision of her smiling face out of my mind.