Chapter Two (Ciera's POV)

CREEPERZZZZZ IS TOTALLY AMAZING, AND IF UR NOT FOLLOWING HER, YOU SHOULD B!!! Also, I've started writing a new book with her, and our new account is LadyChoco310. :D

 A long clanging noise sounded inside, and the sound of pounding feet reached our ears. A few seconds later, the door was opened by a woman in her mid 30s with fly-away reddish hair and hazel eyes. She was dressed in a dark green shirt, a matching skirt with a brown shawl thrown over her shoulders, and brown flats. She smiled warmly, and I immediately decided I liked her. “Hi! I’m guessing you’re Ciera? Officer Boris has told me all about her. My name’s Hazel, and-”

“My name is Debbie. And I run the show.” I looked away from Hazel to another woman who had appeared in the doorway. She looked to be in about her mid 50s, and had black hair shot through with silver and white. Her face was set in a permanent scowl, and she was dressed in a white shirt, navy skirt, and black flats with little bows at the end. She spoke with high authority and looked down at me judgmentally.

“So, I assume you’re Ciera?”

“Ye-”

“Well, welcome to my orphanage. Please come in. Thank you, Officer!”

I looked at Officer Boris, pleading for help, and he winked at me and smiled sadly before waving to Hazel and saluting Debbie. “Anytime! I’ll be back in about a week to check on this little kiddo!” Then he walked back to his squad car and was gone.

I looked at Hazel silently pleading, Get me out of here, but she only looked at me sadly. Debbie looked over me as she beckoned me into a room marked OFFICE by a shiny gold plaque. She whisked the door shut behind her as she entered and directed me to sit down. I was on one side of an expensive looking mahogany desk perched on a rickety stool while Debbie settled into a plush green armchair. Hazel squeezed inside and pulled a foldable chair from an armoire behind Debbie, then sat down on Debbie’s left.

Debbie opened a file cabinet to her right and pulled out a folder marked Ciera Castillo. She opened it, and I saw a few pictures of me, a record of the schools I had been to, my old address, the names of my parents-I stopped there. It was far too painful.

Debbie flipped through my folder a bit longer before looking up. “So, I understand that you’re here because your parents have met an unfortunate demise?” I nodded. “Well, welcome to the orphanage.. You will live and go to school here. You will do chores to keep this place running. Now, here-” She paused and rifled through the cabinet behind her, then pulled out a medium-sized black duffle bag. “This is for your possessions. This is your life, cabinet, storage bag, whatever. This is for you only, nobody else. Here’s your schedule-” She handed me a single piece of heavy-cardstock.

I nodded. “Okay. Do I get more clothes? I don’t know how long I could survive with just this…” I pulled at my hoodie, jeans, and white tank-top.

“Once a month, the Salvation Army comes by with extra clothing. You came just on time...They’ll be coming tomorrow.” She looked to Hazel. “Hazel will show you your new dorm. You’ll be sharing it with Selene, Marcy, and Jade. Oh, and if you go into anyone else’s duffle bag without permission, then face the consequences. The same goes reverse: if someone steals from you they will be punished. Now go, I have work to do.”

Hazel and I went on a brief tour. The first floor contained the dining hall, kitchen, and Debbie’s office, while the second had the classrooms and laundry areas. The third and fourth floors were dorms: boys on the right and girls on the left. I was in Room 13. Hazel smiled at me. “This is where I leave you,” she said. “Be strong. I’m your teacher for school, so just follow your schedule and you can’t go wrong.” She smiled at me and pushed open the door.