19. A thousand things I don't know about you.

For musicality97, who told me we need more stories about people on ordinary days just making their relationships work <3

{Kurt}

Kurt curled on the couch in the basement, Cary at the other end with his feet up on the recliner and the game on the TV. After hanging off the big man all afternoon, Kurt was careful not to touch him now. Cary did not strike him as a cuddly person; he'd been surprised how chill he'd been with the whole charade of playing Kurt Visser's boyfriend.

The photos on his phone were far more interesting than the basketball game. With every swipe, studying Jon's face while he spoke to Dusty, or carried the child on his back, Kurt felt like he got a little more tangled up with Jon. Finally he clasped his phone to his chest, sighing.

"You all right there, Visser?" Cary rumbled, without taking his eyes off the game.

Kurt rubbed his eyes with the back of his wrists. "Think I'm gettin' attached."

"Uh huh?" Cary said. "What are you planning to do about that?"

Kurt laughed under his breath. "At this point, Douglas? I'll even pretend to date you."

"I thought we made a cute couple." Cary shot him a wry smile. "Jon was okay?"

"I think so?" Kurt said. "That was his sister there, Bea?"

"Yup," Cary said, his eyebrows drawing down. "She must not have put it together where Jordin lived before she told him her brother was gay."

Kurt swallowed, folding his arms against his chest. "It could all fall apart in a moment, you know?"

It was quiet except for the squeak of sneakers and the soft hush of the crowd noise from the TV.

"Jon's a careful man," Cary said. "He's been doing this some time, Visser."

Restless, Kurt swiped his phone screen, tapping the folder full of apps he used to hook up with guys. There were a pile of unread notifications—he'd been ignoring these since he moved in with Jon. He was vibrating with a yearning feeling he had never figured out how to satisfy and usually got him in trouble.  No doubt he could find someone willing to tap this desire tonight, and make him forget himself for a couple happy minutes. Parts of his body prickled, interested.

He thumbed back to the previous app he'd had open: Jon's eyes were partly closed, his lips parted in laughter, the flex of his shoulders and chest visible under his plain T-shirt, bearing the weight of the child laughing on his back, Dusty's skinny arms clasped against his throat. Kurt flushed right to his chest, his whole body warming and tugging on him, his heart aching. 

Jon White had raised the bar. When this holiday was over Kurt was going to have to re-think his whole approach to men. Where the hell did you go to meet a keeper like Jon? Church?

(Christ what a thought: Kurt Visser back in a pew.)

Kurt sighed. He was just going to have to figure that out when the time came. Tonight, he was still on holidays with Jon and there wasn't someone else he wanted, regardless of what they were willing to do with him. Maybe that meant he was on a break indefinitely for anything more than kissing.

It was a weird thought, but he was a creative guy. Kurt was pretty sure he could sort himself out on his own, waiting for Jon White.

Kurt dumped the folder of hookup apps into the trash and cleared the bin, then shoved his phone in his pocket and got to his feet. "I'm going to an AA meeting," he said.

Cary glanced at him, eyebrows lifted and relaxed. "Sounds like a plan." His phone chimed and he glanced at it, his whole face lifting in a smile. "I'm going to see if my girlfriend wants to cuddle with my new beard."