February 3, 2000 II

"Baby!" my mom says, opening her arms.

I cocked my head and bit the inside of my cheek. Yeah, see, just because being here was good for me, didn't mean that I missed these two or thanked them. I didn't.

"Mom," I nod, then turning to my dad.

My mom slowly brought her arms down, taking a deep breath.

"Olan," he gives me a faint smile.

"We knew you could do it."

I don't remember the last time my dad said something nice to me. I think he meant it too, and that felt good if I'm being honest.

"Thanks."

The ride back to LA was boring, but I was glad to get out of the hills. I decided that my first stop back was going to be the skate shop. I grabbed my Walkman and I decided to skip a bunch of songs and landed on a random one.

"This the number one rule for your set. In order to survive, you gotta learn to live with regrets."

I was starting to think that 16 year old me knew some shit like this was gonna happen by the sound of these tracks. The whole car ride was silent. I don't know if my parents were quiet because I was, or because they didn't know what to say. I liked how quiet it was; because usually, when it's this quiet, I did something to fuck up. But this time, it was the complete opposite.

"Can you drop me off at the shop?" I ask.

"Oh, honey... we were hoping you would have lunch with us today," my mom says, turning to look at me.

"I'm not really hungry."

"Okay..." I hear her take another deep breath, and taps my dad's shoulder nodding to me, indicating that it was okay to drop me off.

Minutes later, I was there. It felt like I hadn't been here in years. I think the last time I was here was probably in October. I stepped out of the car, and just stood there; admiring it for minutes even after I heard my dad pull off. I made so many memories here, and I didn't want to stop. My lips curved into a smile just thinking about it. That's when I felt a hand on my shoulder.