December 31, 1999 II

"Fuckshit," a finger snaps in front of my face.

"Fuck, I totally zoned out."

"Zoned out is an understatement," he says, laughing. "You were out."

"Well, it's still New Year's Eve right?"

"Look at the TV and answer that for yourself."

It was 11:50. The 90's have been fun, probably the best and definitely the worst times of my life.

"So, any resolutions? Hopes? Goals? Dreams?" Kian says, crossing his arms.

I never really thought about that. I don't really think that just because it's a new year means it will be "more of this or less of that" compared to another year. Shit, I mean whenever people say "this year's gonna be my year," their year is exactly the same as the previous year.

"I don't know. Do I really have to have any?"

"Do you really have to have any?" He scoffed. "I mean, it's not just some random year. This is the start of the 2000s bro."

"Does this mean you don't believe in Y2K?" I ask.

"Of course not. It makes no sense."

"I'm not gonna lie, I was kinda hoping it was real." I say, shifting my eyes.

"You're stupid."

"No! Listen," I laugh. "I wanted to go to an ATM machine to see if money would start spitting out."

"Again, you're stupid."

"Hey, you never know," I shrug. "So, do you have any goals? Hopes, dreams, resol- "

"Yes, I do, since you were wondering."

"I really wasn't if we're being honest."

He smirked. "Why are you acting like I wasn't gonna tell you either way?" I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway, since you were so kind to ask, I obviously want to stay sober. Hopefully you do too." He raises an eyebrow in my direction.

"Why are you fucking looking at me like that?"

"Take notes," he says.

"Other than that, I'm trying to go back to college man."

I cross my arms. "For real? You don't seem like the college type."

He frowns. "Yeah? Well, neither do you."

"I mean, probably because I'm not," I shrug.

"Clearly," he says under his breath. "Believe it or not, I went to USC before all of this."

"Well, since you gave me a choice, I'm choosing not to believe it," I laugh.

He nudges my arm. "I'm so serious man."

"Then why'd you start using?"

"I don't know. It was just in the moment. Before I tried it, I was like, 'It's just once, I'm not gonna get addicted.' He looks down and shakes his head. "And here I am."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. I'm here and I plan to stay clean."

"10!"

Once we heard that number, we exchanged glances and acknowledged what time it was. My eyes teleported right to the TV. I wondered if the world was gonna end, or if it was just gonna be the start of a new millennium.

The crowd harmonized. "9!"

Kian chimed in. "8!"

"7!"

"6!"

"5!"

"4!"

I joined the duet. "3!"

"2!"

"1!"

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"