ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

An eerie stillness consumed the medium-sized room

An eerie stillness consumed the medium-sized room. The intensity of sunlight peeking from the windows was an indication of mid-afternoon. The scene inside was tense as Alina, who stood inches apart from Azlan, stared at him in utter shock. She couldn't fathom a single word after hearing the unbelievable fact Azlan spurted out.

"Azlan! Open the door!" The loud cries coming from outside broke the uncomfortable trance. Someone banged the door repeatedly as if his shouting and ringing of the doorbell weren't enough.

Azlan pushed Alina aside and swiftly moved towards their impatient intruder. Alina, on the other hand, was glued to her spot. She couldn't register the fact that Azlan was her cousin! It seemed like the time traveled back and her mind went in a haze.

"Why is he coming here?" A little five years old girl asked a woman, probably her mother, who was slowly combing her hair in a ponytail.

"He's your uncle, uncle Waqar, your father's brother. He's coming to meet us after six years." Her mother replied. "Why have I never met him before? Why is he coming after so many years?" She voiced the questions meddling in her mind.

"Because he had to work. He's a lawyer, like your father," her mother tried her best to answer her queries.

"Does he have any children, so that I can play with them?" She smiled, asking excitedly.

"Yes, he has a son. His name is Azlan and he's of your age. You could be best friends." Suggested her mother...

"They are heading to search all the international airport securities. They will recognize her face if they see the security cameras." Said a loud manly voice.

Alina was back in a second. Shaking her head as if to remove the glimpse of her past she just remembered, she concentrated on the scene outside the room.

That tall boy, who was waiting for them outside the apartment before, was there, still in the same clothing. He stood in front of Azlan while he seemed lost in thoughts. He couldn't be lying about their relationship. The glimpse of the memory of her past and his strikingly grey eyes like her father was the proof of his truth.

"One more thing," he started, and Azlan glanced at his face. "There is another detective with them from The Crime Wing, FIA. His name is Shayan Khan. Both Officer Asad and he can be a huge problem." He said and then slumped himself on the chair.

Alina reached them, walking out of the room. She totally ignored Azlan and faced the boy.

"What's your name?" She asked sternly.

"I'm Moiz," he replied, offering his best grin and at their back Azlan rolled his eyes.

"How do you know about police activities? Are you spying on them?" She raised one brow in question.