Chapter 11 - What happens after a kiss?

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 11 - What happens after a kiss?
Adelaide's POV

My mouth had seriously gaped open and stayed that way. I'm sure a fly or two occupied the open space of my mouth for a while. Nate had kissed me. Sure it had only been a light peck but my lips were still tingling pleasantly. I really had to get some focus here but I was having a great deal of trouble.

Nate had kissed me, not just that though, he also thought I was gorgeous. Me, pudgy best friend me. I wasn't sure which thought had the upper most clarity in my mind at the moment.

I've never thought I was ugly or anything. I do know I'm on the plump side though. Hearing that Nate liked me just the way I was always made me feel so much more confident.

My mind flipped back over to the kiss then back to his sweet words until I thought my mind might explode. I had to take my mind off the careening happiness that threatened to overtake me. The upset I had felt earlier was still there but smothered by my burgeoning feelings of intense joy.

I decided that doing some drudgery like housework would preoccupy me. I threw clothes into the washing machine before deciding that the bathroom needed a good scrubbing. I then moved into the kitchen like a crazy person.

Everything was spotless and the clothes were in the dryer but I felt no closer to thinking any clearer. I sat down and sorted through the rest of my jewellery. I turned the television on for distraction as I worked on untangling the mess I had made.

Each piece of jewellery came with a special memory of Nate. I smiled through each one, knowing I was one of the luckiest girls in the world to have him. He was really the most wonderful guy to have in your corner. He always looked after me. He loved me without question, even when I did silly things like this morning.

Once my jewellery sat back in the box neatly, I glanced at the clock. Nate should be home soon and that was a very exciting thought for me. I could only wonder if things would be awkward between us though. That was the last thing I wanted to happen to us, which of course was why I had avoided kissing him in all this time.

When I finally heard his key in the door, I went still. My heart thundered with both trepidation and anticipation. I didn't move though, I sat on the couch stiff as a board with no idea what to do next.

"Kitty?" Nate's deep voice called out sounding completely normal while my stomach clenched with uncontrollable butterflies. "This looks very clean. Are you freaking out Kitty?" He entered the lounge area and tossed his satchel bag down.

"Maybe a tinsy little bit." I replied when he dropped down next to me. That darn woodsy aroma filled my brain, scrambling things within me further.

"Do you remember how we first met?" He asked out of the blue as he threw an arm around my shoulder.

"Yes." I replied, glancing over at him.

"That was one of the best days of my life." He told me, complete with irresistible dimple smile.

"Really? Why?" I asked curiously, feeling one of Nate's stories was about to be told. I always loved to hear our life from his thoughts and of course I loved listening to his voice.

"You know how I'm not that great with talking to people, even when I was that young. All the other kids knew that but they thought I was weird. They wouldn't dare to ever say it though because I was the almighty son of a Miles." He raised his voice thunderously and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Yes, I do recall that being mentioned as to why I couldn't talk to you." I replied as I squeezed myself closer to him.

"You didn't care though and that meant a lot to me. If they had simply spoken to me like any other normal kid, I would've been their friend. They were always standoffish and whispering about me behind my back though. Then one day you were just there. It was like you had appeared from nowhere. I hadn't even noticed you until you picked a fight with Pammy Sound." He smirked at me, knowing that I would protest his version of the story.