Chapter 14 - Goodbye Tracey, hello naughty secrets

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 14 - Goodbye Tracey, hello naughty secrets

Walking out of Links office had to be one of the most triumphant but surreal moments of my life. Links had finally cooperated and given Nate a folder that had all of Tracey's complaints against me inside. I wasn't looking forward to reading it but it was at least now in our hands.

We marched out of that office together and had everybody's attention in the office area. I couldn't blame them for wanting a bit of excitement in their lives, they had boring jobs. The only one not staring at us in anticipation was a very worried looking Tracey.

"Hello again Tracey." Nate approached her with the most evil grin on his face and she gulped. "So last night you were almost arrested over theft of jewellery and now falsely accusing someone so they lose their job. It doesn't seem to be the best of weeks for you." Nate's voice was silky smooth as he loomed over Tracey's desk.

"What are you going to do?" She asked sounding rather resigned.

"Did you know Jackson Jenkins, the owner of this company has known me and Adelaide since we were kids?" Nate ignored her question to glance around at all the keen eavesdroppers. "I called him about Adelaide being fired. He couldn't believe that Adelaide would ever bully anyone. He gave me permission to, now what were his words 'sort that bitch out." Tracey flinched at his words.

"So I'm fired?" Tracey raised her eyes showing determination.

"Things are certainly not looking good for you." I added in smugly.

"You don't even need this job! You're with him." Tracey pointed between us.

"This isn't about the job, it's the principal of the matter. You stole my boyfriend, my job and my life. That deserves some compensation." I replied astutely and all the other workers began muttering amongst themselves.

"I don't care if you fire me. Stanford will support me." Tracey's defiance notched higher while Nate and I snorted.

"That guy's name is now mud sweetheart, so good luck with that. Pack up your shit and get the fuck out." Nate pointed sharply to the lift.

"You can't just fire me! I have to be warned first." Tracey said quickly and Nate laughed derisively.

"Adelaide was never given any warnings either." He told her as he tossed a box onto her desk. "Pack now."

Secretive chatters started around us as Tracey's shoulders slumped. I felt a tiny amount of pity for her. I knew exactly how horrible it felt to have everyone watching my shame of being fired. My sympathy died the minute she turned a nasty glare my way.

"I don't see what he possibly gets from you." Tracey said as she shoved something into the box.

Nate full out laughed then and Tracey sent him a perturbed look. The gleam in my best friend's eyes was not boding well for Tracey. He didn't like anyone treating me badly. I reached out to touch Nate's arm and he turned to me, his face softening.

"I don't need defending Nate. She's got nothing and this is her only fight left." I told him but I knew it wouldn't work. I could see in his eyes that he wasn't letting her get away with any of her nonsense.

"Don't try any bullshit against Adelaide again." Nate's voice was low but smothered with threat.

"It was just a simple question." Tracey replied nervously, not looking at either of us.

"I'll give you the simple answer then. Unlike you who chases men with money, Adelaide doesn't give a shit about how much money I have. She doesn't look at me and see Nathaniel Miles, she sees Nate her best friend. That's worth more than any dollar amount in this fucking world. Does that satisfy your curiosity?" Nate turned a dark look to Tracey while I smiled at him