Chapter 3 - Your bed or mine?

I stared at Nate's door for a long time after I had shut it. I felt furious, and disappointed, but also somewhat relieved. Ultimately, I was embarrassed at my boyfriend's behaviour tonight. He had insinuated so many things about Nate that just weren't true. I took in a breath and prepared myself to face my best friend, whose birthday was ruined.

"I shouldn't have invited them. Sorry I ruined your birthday, Natey," I said as I walked back from locking the door.

"It would only have been ruined if you had gone home with that dick." Nate flicked a hand distastefully towards the door.

"I just don't know what's got into him." I shook my head and sighed.

"He's jealous obviously." Nate's voice went smug and I finally looked at him.

"Of what?" I asked, waving my hands in the air, needing to release some frustrated feelings.

"Us, Kitty cat. Just like every girlfriend I've ever had, our relationship threatens them." He told me and I agreed with that. I just had a itching feeling that said Stanford was up to something else entirely.

"I just don't know. Do you find it funny that Tracey moved into our apartment block a week after me and now suddenly Stanford is acting like the biggest jerk? He used to be the best boyfriend material. He would open doors, be so sweet and loving to me but that's died." I explained sadly and Nate appeared pained.

"Are you really sleeping on the couch?" He changed the subject and sent me one of those cute dimpled grins.

"Have I ever slept on your couch?" I replied with a cheeky grin of my own.

"No, thank God," he muttered, practically under his breath.

"Good, then its sleep over time! Should we eat cake in bed?" I asked as I clapped my hands excitedly.

"Heck yeah," he agreed and I saw those brown eyes of his flare brightly. "It's lucky you have clothes left here but do you want your nightly shower first?" He knew me too well. I always found a shower at night to be so relaxing, and cleansing off the day's worries made me feel better.

"Yep, and a shirt." I wiggled my hands at him.

"Unbelievable! First you want to sleep in my bed and now you want the shirt off my back." He was teasing but I simply nodded.

We had been sleeping in each other's beds for years now. Of course, it began when we were teenagers but the tradition had continued. I'm sure my parents would have panicked if they knew back then but nothing had ever happened.

Then again, my parents had never known my best friend was Nathaniel Miles. That would have made them immensely happy knowing I had risen in social status. I had only ever told them that Nate was my best friend with no elaboration. They hadn't even bothered to meet him in all this time.

Sleeping next to Nate was a million times better than being next to snoring Stanford. Nate was and I think always will be a cuddler whereas Stanford likes to be poles apart. I happened to prefer snuggling up to someone who appreciated it and didn't complain how he needed his own space.

I grinned when Nate handed me, quite literally the shirt off his back. I didn't mind because I knew it would smell just like him. I would be surrounded by that woodsy odour that made me delirious with one little sniff.

He returned my grin once again complete with dimples, and I was immensely pleased. I knew his anger was gone and I wasn't in the mood to question him about the black fury he had had when Stanford was here. I just wanted to enjoy my time with my favourite person on this planet.