Chapter 13 - The downward spiral

© Sandra Corton 2014

Chapter 13 - The downward spiral

Adelaide’s POV

The last thing I wanted to do was to go to work this morning. An office full of people had seen my outburst yesterday. I was only just starting to get to know these people as well. Now they knew about Nate and me, which could be awfully awkward to explain.

So to say I felt a bit anxious this morning was perhaps a bit of an understatement. Sure Nate had to prise my fingers from the front door where they wanted to cling all day. I had very reluctantly showered and dressed but I couldn’t stomach breakfast.

“Kitty it’s going to be fine.” Nate reassured me as he went around to open the car door for me.

I didn’t answer, I couldn’t. I was so jumbled up with nerves that nothing would come out if I even managed to open my mouth. Nate steered the car confidently and I wished for the biggest traffic jam in all of history to appear in front of me.

Of course that didn’t happen. No today it was smooth sailing all the way to the office with me cursing silently to myself. We were at the office already and my heart was pounding with trepidation. I was immensely glad Nate had a private parking spot so nobody could see me flipping out.

I felt dreadfully embarrassed just thinking about how much I had cried yesterday. The worst thing was that it was in the office foyer where anyone and everyone could have stood and watched my emotional breakdown.

“I can’t do this Nate.” I whispered the words in defeat.

“Yes you can and will.” Nate insisted, totally unperturbed by my protest.

“They saw me cry.” I said shamefully.

“So?”

“I said personal things that I would never, ever say except to you in private.” I sat stiff and unyielding on the passenger seat of his car.

“Stop this Kitty! Where’s the girl that doesn’t give a damn what other people think of her?” He asked me seriously as he unclipped my seat belt and hunkered down next to me.

“I think she died.” I stated as I crossed my arms.

“You are so fucking frustrating sometimes. Suck it up and walk into that office like you own it.” He demanded while dragging me unceremoniously out of the car.

“I hate you.” I told him sharply but he just sent me his best dimple grin.

“Sure you do. Now move it!” He stood me upright and passed me my handbag. When I didn’t move he seriously raised his hand and smacked my arse!

“What the hell did you do that for?” I asked with shock clear in my voice.

“You’re being childish Kitty. Now get into that office or I swear to God that I will do it again.” The most wicked, carnal smile filled his face then and my mouth went dry.