6

REBECCA'S POV

"Lori, you need to stop worrying. They'll be fine." Carol soothed. To me it seemed like she was trying to find any way possible to distract herself from her own fears and worries of Sophia.

"There was a gun shot, Carol. Just one."

Shane, Rick and Carl had gone off on their own, their plan was to circle back and meet us back on the highway, but there had been a gun shot, and somehow that plan didn't feel like it was going to happen. Despite everyone's knowledge that neither Rick nor Shane would risk using a gun for just one walker everyone seemed to be calm. Except Lori, of course.

I sighed and chewed at the inside of my cheek as my mind wondered to what they could have shot. What if they'd found Emilia and she'd turned? They wouldn't have beaten her brains out, would they? They surely would have shot her if that had happened. What if she had turned? What if she was dead all along and we were out here looking for nothing.

She's alone and scared and there's nothing I can do about it.

"Please be okay." I whispered, and continued walking, turning only when I felt a light squeeze on my arm.

"She's gonna be fine. Okay?" It was Andrea.

"How can you know that? i had my doubts before but they're worse now. What if that shot was for her? What if she'd turned and Rick or Shane put her out of her misery wha-"

"Stop!" Andrea said, cutting me off. "She's fine okay? Whatever it is that you think the shot was for, it's wrong. Emilia is safe, you'll see."

I paused for a moment, my eyes scanning Andrea's face before I sighed, my shoulders slumping. "You're right, she's a fighter, she'll be okay. Her and Sophia both." I replied, giving in even though I still didn't quite believe it. She had been gone too long, if she was alive she would have made her way back to the highway by now with Sophia, but she hadn't. She was still missing, and there was no explanation for that other than that she was dead. Or worse.

The trees began to thin and the highway was in sight just up the hill. It was strenuous work on an empty stomach to get to the top, but the hope that Emilia would be at the top waiting spurred me on. But that wasn't the case, she wasn't there. Though I'd known that would be how it turned out, I still felt a little disappointed.

Instead, a young brunette who was wearing a panicked expression was talking with Dale and T-Dog, a horse tethered to a vehicle not too far away from her. My pace quickened, wanting to hear what the girl was saying.

"...shot. Y'all should come with me back to my farm." I only caught the end of her conversation, but I immediately panicked, who'd been shot? Why was she telling us this? How did she know we were here? "Which one of you is Lori?"

"That's me." Lori replied, stepping forwards cautiously. It looked as though she didn't trust the girl either.

"Rick sent me. Your son's been shot. He's fine, but you need to come with me." She said, gesturing to the horse as she spoke. "It'll be quicker if you ride with me on the horse."

It was understandable as there was no telling how long it would take us to get the RV out of this jam.

It seemed that as soon as the girl had suggested that Lori go with her, it had happened, and they'd ridden off down the road together, the remainder of the group stood in a state of confusion and wondering as to what to do next before Andrea stepped up. "Let's get on the way, the RV in the lead, the rest in pursuit." She said.

Daryl put his motorcycle on the back of the pick up and opened the door to get in the drivers seat. "Get in, Bex." He said, his tone gruff. I had originally been planning to go in the RV, but I didn't argue, and got in also.